Mtb noob in need of some help

dannypsimpson
dannypsimpson Posts: 7
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Who would of thought, building my own bike is proving to be more difficult than I thought! Specially the sizing of things.
I now need help with headsets. Im so confused and befor I waste anymore money buying parts that dont fit, im gonna ask you guys.

I have a lapierre zesty 314 2013, and one thing j need replace is the headset as its fooked. - I bought 1 1/8 - 1.5 tapered intergrated headset. Tried fitting it and im assuming its slightly the wrong size as its very stiff getting the bottom one in- the top isnt going in at all.

Can someone just please help and tell me exactly what i.need?!
Even better link.me some headsets ?! Done my research and cant find a clear answer... Its doing my head in!

Comments

• Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    you need a vernier caliper to measure the inside of your bikes head tube at the cup recess and go from there, this will help you to understand the most usual sizes and types

http://www.hopetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/HOPEHEADSETS2011Web.pdf
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Take it to a bike shop, doing s headset wrong can ruin your frame :)
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Headsets used to be simple at least to get the right one if not fit. I've fitted several with the 'hammer and block of wood' technique. But if you get it wrong you can fark a frame.

But there is now such a proliferation of standards that it's a bit of a minefield

What's wrong with your current headset? It may just need replacement bearings

Also compare the removed set with the one you're trying to fit - though, unless you have some calipers, this may not be easy

I'd suggest taking it to your local shop. Fitting a headset shouldn't cost much (£10 - £15), maybe free if you purchase the headset from them
  • Headsets used to be simple at least to get the right one if not fit. I've fitted several with the 'hammer and block of wood' technique. But if you get it wrong you can fark a frame.

But there is now such a proliferation of standards that it's a bit of a minefield

What's wrong with your current headset? It may just need replacement bearings

Also compare the removed set with the one you're trying to fit - though, unless you have some calipers, this may not be easy

I'd suggest taking it to your local shop. Fitting a headset shouldn't cost much (£10 - £15), maybe free if you purchase the headset from them

Think I might take your advice and simply take my frame and buy a headset at a bikeshop and ask them to fit..

Thanks for the advice guys, this is great!