2015 Whyte T-130s vs 2009 Stumpjumper FSR frame

Clockworkmark31
Clockworkmark31 Posts: 1,053
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
Greetings all,

As the title suggests, I am comaparing a 2015 Whyte T-130s to a custom build I want to do on a 09 Stumpjumper FSR.

http://whyte.bike/gb/models/trail/t-130-trail-suspension-27-5-650b/t-130-s/

Stumpjumper would be built up with XT gear and probably RS Rebas.

Both will come in between £1200-£1300.

What are your thoughts on either, pros and cons. The dream has always been the Stumpjumper FSR 09 custom build. But the price of the Whyte feels like I can't overlook it.

On the stumpy I would be looking at 26" so bargains can be had.

Riding is XC and wanting to do some bikeparks but not at DH speeds.

Comments

• get the T-130, its no contest

I am leaning towards the T-130. Why do you think it will be no contest?
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    It's simple, 09 geo vs 15 geo guess who wins on the tails...
    T130 all the way!!!!
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • It's simple, 09 geo vs 15 geo guess who wins on the tails...
    T130 all the way!!!!

Not sure how much geo has changed, but from what I can see is 1 degree. I can have the T-130 for £1200, but I would want to change the brakes to XT's and go 1x10 is the Whyte frame good enough?

It seems like a bargain with the spec it comes with.
  • I am so tempted to put the deposit down on the T-130, but I have to be reasonable too.

So what would the pros and cons be?

The 09 stumpjumper frame still demands a premium (my highest bid £350, and they usually sell for £400-500), so there must be some reason behind this?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The 2009 Stumpjumper frame won't be as good. Straight head tube and qr rear axle will mean more flex. If it was a 2011 Stumpjumper then that would win it for me.
    Specialized frames hold more value purely because of their name. The Giant Trance was better that year but is available cheaper. At that sort of age bearings may be worn and the rear shock will be near the end of its life. The yoke attachment on the shock makes it difficult to replace.
  • The 2009 Stumpjumper frame won't be as good. Straight head tube and qr rear axle will mean more flex. If it was a 2011 Stumpjumper then that would win it for me.
    Specialized frames hold more value purely because of their name. The Giant Trance was better that year but is available cheaper. At that sort of age bearings may be worn and the rear shock will be near the end of its life. The yoke attachment on the shock makes it difficult to replace.

Ok, some advice there. I have ridden an older trance before and found it too soft. All my previous bikes have been straight head tubes and QR even on the Talon 0 650b.

If I went down the Stumpjumper route, it would be familiar.

The T-130 at the price I have seen it at makes it hard to ignore, I get 650b plus alot of the modern touches.

Would the changes be noticeable in the real world as I can't take this one for a test ride.

I am so tempted to put the deposit down as it is virtually brand new with all the documentation and the tokens etc etc.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Seeing the write ups the T-130 gets you also jump forward to a new bike with 650b new geometry as well,for me it would be a no brainer to pick the Whyte
  • Herdwick
    if the stumpy from 09 is heavily used most probably the frame is close to fatigue limit,

Geometry wise is not just one deg, t130 is longer, stack must be lower (spec doesn't give stack but has tall head tube) stiffer frame, tapered head tube means lots of fork options/head sets etc. It's no brainer.

Really don't understand why people want to pay such money for an outdated frame
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    also who uses rear Q/R now days?
    Don't over think get the whyte!!!
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The Whyte. All day long. Frankly if you choose the Specialized over that you need your head checking. 6 years is a lifetime in the cycle industry, the whyte would run rings around the spesh, will have a proper warranty and it will be brand new not used and probably not at the end of it's usable life.
  • Herdwick
    don't tell us you are still thinking it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Stop being silly, just get the Whyte. It's absolutely the easiest question ever asked on here
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Buy the Whyte! Why are you hesitating?

If you really want a Stumpy buy the Whyte and I'll swap my 2011 Stumpy for it. :wink:
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Sorry for late responses, work has dominated.

Had 650b before, didn't really notice too much difference. QR all my bikes have been QR so haven't seen if there is a difference between new standards.

Ok, so if the warranty is going to be transferable and funds can allow me the deposit I will go for the Whyte. But funds don't look too good atm with half of my shifts canceled for next week.

The Stumpy was the first FS I fell in love with and all parts bar the frame can be had at a cheap price these days.

And I much prefered the old '11 Rockhopper to the '15 Talon 0 I had. Anyway need to make the funds work now.
  • kyle17290
    kyle17290 Posts: 261
    Seems to me you that you have taken alot of persuading and still arent completely sold on the whyte. Just buy what you want.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Seems to me you that you have taken alot of persuading and still arent completely sold on the whyte. Just buy what you want.

Is that a polite way of saying "you asked a question, ignored all the advice as you'd really already made up your mind, so just get on with it"?

Always makes me smile when a poster comes onto the site wanting to have their opinion vindicated and continues down the same path even when it's so obviously wrong and that it's pointed out to them consistently.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • As someone who owned a 2009 Stumpy for 5 years and watched geometry and components change over the 5 years (and having just built up a Nukeproof Mega) get the Whyte.

Your first post says they will cost you about the same. A new bike or a 7 yr old frame plus components. It really is a no brainer. Put it like this. For your 1300 do you want a bike that will be 5 yrs old in 5 yrs or 12 yrs old.

Good luck with what you decide though.
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw
  • kyle17290
    kyle17290 Posts: 261

Is that a polite way of saying "you asked a question, ignored all the advice as you'd really already made up your mind, so just get on with it"?

Always makes me smile when a poster comes onto the site wanting to have their opinion vindicated and continues down the same path even when it's so obviously wrong and that it's pointed out to them consistently.

Yes you could say that ha.
  • Hi, no mind was not made up at all, sorry if it came across that way.

I have been slow to keep up with some of the changes, ie, last year only just went to 650b.

Have a planned test ride booked in with the Whyte so if it feels good deposit is going down.

Some good advice given, and I see the advantages of the Whyte now, so if it feels good and I hope it does then I'm going for it.

I like improvement and am a fan of new technology. But when you get used to something you think why change it. When I got my Pioneer CDJ1000 Mk2s I tried them once then went back to the Technics MK5g's for another year. Then embraced the Pioneers.

Not disregarding any comments, just need to make my own mind up so hope this test ride is good. I haven't experienced a bang upto date bike yet with new geometry and thru axels etc etc so it is a big step forward. I have always followed the same pattern of XC HT.
  • rockmonkeysc
    [quote="Clockworkmark31

I like improvement and am a fan of new technology. But when you get used to something you think why change it. When I got my Pioneer CDJ1000 Mk2s[/quote]

I have absolutely no idea what that means.
  • [quote="Clockworkmark31

I like improvement and am a fan of new technology. But when you get used to something you think why change it. When I got my Pioneer CDJ1000 Mk2s

I have absolutely no idea what that means.[/quote]

Old school finally converting to new advances. Funny really as working in electronics you have to keep up with technology. But all senior electronics engineers trust and keep old school electronics measuring tools.

They could be working on the newest application and advances of electronics but when they do the R&D on the product, use old school proven technology. Maybe it just works better? I don't know, but looking forward to the test ride of the bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    [quote="Clockworkmark31

I like improvement and am a fan of new technology. But when you get used to something you think why change it. When I got my Pioneer CDJ1000 Mk2s

I have absolutely no idea what that means.

Old school finally converting to new advances. Funny really as working in electronics you have to keep up with technology. But all senior electronics engineers trust and keep old school electronics measuring tools.

They could be working on the newest application and advances of electronics but when they do the R&D on the product, use old school proven technology. Maybe it just works better? I don't know, but looking forward to the test ride of the bike.[/quote]

Still no idea. Could be a food blender, coffee machine, sex toy, betamax player or wireless.
  • Well lets leave it at the sex toy haha.

But the fact that some of this country's greatest electronics engineers prefer old school technology must say something?

I am all for advances and am looking forward to the test ride. So will have to see how I feel on it.

If I like it I will buy it, If I am on the line then I won't. I hope I will like it.
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's not old school technology they prefer, it's simple, reliable and cheap technology which produces the minimum required performance. Standard engineering design principle really in product design.
  • Some of the older electronics measuring equipment costs more than new stuff.

Anyway, the more I read about the Whyte, the more I like. so looking forward to the ride.

What are peoples thoughts on the Avid DB5 brakes? They have me cringing at the thought of them, had Avids before and they were in a massive pain in the a**.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    DB5's are alright, sure they might not last as long as Shimanos but as an entry level brake I've been impressed by the few sets I've tried and that's coming from a serial Avid hater! Besides when they do go it's cheap to replace them with deores
  • rockmonkeysc
    The new Acids are nothing like the old rubbish.
  • Well it comes with them, and after having Avids before I'm thinking of just sticking some Deore XTs on from the get go.

Just got to wait until Thursday now.
  • Quick update,

Loved it and was very impressed. Feels completely different to how I imagined it to feel (always had HTs). It was like point and go, not sure if I liked not having my bones shaken though. So having a demo on a HT I have been looking at too. Was impressed but felt very different, maybe I am not ready for FS yet.