Superleggera Wheels

Vaughan1
Vaughan1 Posts: 65
edited January 2016 in Road general
Has any one got these or can you point me to some reviews please

Comments

• Thankyou for the link. Are there any sub £500 carbon deep wheels that are light and good value?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    At that sort of price (plus a bit) you are looking at alu brake tracks with carbon fairings. At a rough guess I would say you would get 40-50mm depth wheels weighing 1800+g in the £600 ish range for that sort of wheel.

e.g. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=deepdish+carbon+wheels+aluminium+brake+track&ie=&oe=#tbm=shop&q=deepdish+carbon+wheelset+aluminium+brake+track&spd=11771507077394916596

Depending on how deep you want, you'll get a better aluminium wheelset for less.
  • Thankyou again. I fancy a set of mavic reflex tubulars on ultegra hubs but the carbon caught my eye. I am surprised at the weight of carbon wheels sets.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Carbonzone off the 'bay - light, roll very well, stiff, varying depths, bombproof.

Used mine for trainin', racin' and commutin' without a problem at all - very recommended.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Farsport do decent tubulars for around that price. race only wheels.... I'd say with an average carbon brake surface.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    You were initially asking about some deep section carbon or carbon/alloy clinchers I think. And you nearly bought low profile tubulars. What is it that you are actually after?

If you want clinchers I'd urge some caution when it comes to web purchases from China. Perhaps less of a concern for tubulars though.

As for weight - even full carbon clinchers can be as heavy or heavier than alloy equivalents. Or you can spend an extra £500 or £1k and save maybe 1-200g. They are mainly vanity purchases, eg if you simply must have the deep -v look or you are convinced you go fast enough for the aero benefit.

For tubular rims it's a slightly different story, in that you can save more weight with less money by going for a carbon rim.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    How about Planet X Ali/carbon deep rims if that's your bag? Very good reviews, good prices.

I've used their carbon 50 tubular steel for years and never had a problem.......
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Just fancied some new wheels. I thought the carbon ones would have been a lot lighter. But it's going to be hard to have better wheels than I have without going mad.