Bike Box

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi

I'm supposed to be going to France this summer to catch a stage of the TDF. Where I'm based is within riding distance so I'd like to bring my bike.

Normally I drive to France but my missus needs the car so I'll be flying or training it (haven't booked transport yet).

If I want to bring my bike I'll need a decent method of transporting it. I don't really want to spend large on a bike box because I'll rarely use it as normally my bike goes on the bike rack on my car.

Can anyone suggest either a reasonably priced bike-box I can sell on afterwards or somewhere that will rent me a bike-box at a reasonable price for a week.

It needs to be able to fit into the back of a hire car when I hit France.

Cheers!

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Why don't you rent one? Lots of shops offer this as a service.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • irvs
    irvs Posts: 204
    I've got a chain reaction own brand bike bag, can't recommend it enough as long as you pad it out to and disassemble the bike well.
    Mine came with 2 wheel bags that stored inside the bag with loads of large sized pockets.

I use it far all my flights and it's doing great, India, Australia, UK, Indonesia.

Neil
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Soft bag works fine for me in Europe - you do pad the bike to the nth degree and if you do it right you'd be happy to lob the bike down a flight of stairs.

So it takes a bit more time than a hardshell box - but it is cheaper to buy and easier to transport and store once you're there.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I use a soft bag and wrap the bike in bubble wrap - £9 for 20 odd meters of it down my local commercial stationer. When finished throw all bubble wrap into next door's garden.

You could use a cardboard box bikes come in from your lbs - just slash it with a skank and throw it in next door's garden when you've finished with it.

Or hire a box as per the above.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I use a soft bag and wrap the bike in bubble wrap - £9 for 20 odd meters of it down my local commercial stationer. When finished throw all bubble wrap into next door's garden.

You could use a cardboard box bikes come in from your lbs - just slash it with a skank and throw it in next door's garden when you've finished with it.

Or hire a box as per the above.

Remind me never to move in next to you. :shock:
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    I've hired boxes from

www.bikeboxalan.co.uk and www.bikebox-online.co.uk

Both the bike box Alan and Velovault from Bike Box Online have done the job fine.

It'll either be dropped off and collected at your house by courier or there might be a collection hub near to you.
  • Hi. I will be selling mine. Hard shell, not the prettiest thing however it does the job. It has a little crack at the bottom but it doesn't affect anything really. Contact me via facebook if interested. Based in Peterborough.

This box. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultimate-Hardware-Bike-Travel-Luggage/dp/B00KBUCCR8

Message me on facebook if interested; Genadijs Tilgalis
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Another vote for a soft bag - my Planet X bag has done a number of flights and the bike has remained undamaged. I have two large pieces of foam that sit either side for extra protection but otherwise it's standard.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Flown with an EVOC semi-soft bag over 20 times, no problems.

I drape / tie all my clothes over the bike and use foam pipe insulation on the tubes.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I've had two frames written off when travelling back from the US. Use soft bags/cheap hard cases at your peril.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg