Can anyone recommend me a decent hand pump?!

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
Found out my pump is kaput today after a blow out :evil:

Can anyone recommend me a decent hand pump for my rucksack, reasonably priced??

I've read high volume pumps are better for MTB???? I would also like a Co2 inflator, can I combine the 2???

Thanks

Jay

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    No, not really. I have one of the Lezyne small pumps. Not sure which one as there are loads of different small sizes. Can't fault it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Loving my Blackburn mammoth.

yes you can get combined CO2 inflator and pumps.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I have had lots of pumps but now using a Lezyne and find it is great. It has lasted me 2+ years when other stop working after a few months often.
  • guandax
    guandax Posts: 44
    I've had a few of these Topeak Peak DX II Mini Pump. Always been reliable. Only had to replace one after accidentally riding over it and denting it. It still worked but had a stiff spot in the middle that was annoying! From memory I think it was better for Presta valves.
    Canyon Spectral 7.0ex 2015
    Giant Trance X3 2011 (retired but not sold!)
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    I got rid of my Topeak one a couple of year ago after the seals went after only a few months and very little use. I bought a Lezyne Pressure Drive - Small for my roadie (mainly) and it's been awesome.

Slightly wish I had bought the Alloy Drive instead though - essentially the same version but designed for lower pressure, higher volume tyres.. Like MTB tyres..

The hose connecting the valve to the pump is useful too - slightly longer to connect but no worrying about breaking the valve when you are pumping it up compared to a traditional connection system.

My Lezyne Track Pump has also been awesome...

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    +1 for the Blackburn Mammoth, although mine is the model that I bought in 1997 rather than the current one. It still works as well as it did on day one.
    The only downside is when one of your riding buddies has a puncture, they always want to borrow your pump!
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The only downside is when one of your riding buddies has a puncture, they always want to borrow your pump!
    Doesn't only happen to me then!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They are welcome to use my pump, as long as they don't expect me to operate it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Eight replies and not a single smutty joke? This place has gone to the dogs.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Eight replies and not a single smutty joke? This place has gone to the dogs.

I know, I've been waiting for it!