Fizik R1/R3 vs. Giro Empire

MattFT
MattFT Posts: 178
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I've narrowed down my next shoe to either a Fizik R1 or newer Giro Empire. Has anyone had both and can comment on:

- arch support with stock footbeds
- overall volume. I have D width feet but a medium high arch and large volume so quickly run out of space in most shoes if I add an aftermarket insole or thicker socks
- longevity/wear

Thanks,

Matt
FCN: 4

My Condor R.I.P.

Enigma Echo - everything outside the city
Genesis Day One Disc - commuter

Comments

• Ah, longevity. I'd stick the Fizik's as the nicest shoes I ever had. Got rid of them for Sidi Wire. Silly mistake.

But, here's the thing, every time you catch that toe on something you will mark it, perhaps scratch it, perhaps make it look sad and tired. So, if you have shoe OCD, be careful................
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • MattFT
    :) I know what you mean. I'm not majorly OCD though. My current shoes are 2009 s-works and they've survived winters and some big offs and the associated tarmac interactions. I'm more concerned with overall holding together for 8k to 10k km year after year.

My Condor R.I.P.

• Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Never used the Fizik, love my Empires and apart from some tyre scars still solid after the best part of 10k KM last year. I'd buy another pair as much as trying others is tempting

Use them any dry day (well day that starts dry) even though I have 'winter shoes' (some Sidis)
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I tried both and Sidi are the best fit but then I have wide feet. so that's probably very little help.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Try them both. Buy the one that fits best.

Gut feeling is that HV + Giro last = no. Have a look at Shimano or Bont.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Oh, Rapha climbers might be worth a look as well. 50% off.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • MattFT
    Oh, Rapha climbers might be worth a look as well. 50% off.

I'm not sure I can bring myself be completely head to toe in Rapha, even at 50% off. Also, the Rapha's don't come with adjustable footbeds unlike the Giros. I need some proper arch support.

My Condor R.I.P.

• MattFT
    Try them both. Buy the one that fits best.

Gut feeling is that HV + Giro last = no. Have a look at Shimano or Bont.

Probably the best solution, yeah :) Is the Giro last smaller than others then?

My Condor R.I.P.

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    The Rapha shoes do come with the Giro arch supports.

But the Giro shape is better suited for narrow and low volume feet. If you're HV I'd look at Shimano, Bont and Northwave.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    If you've got high arches the adjustable Giro footbeds will have nowhere near enough support so don't make that a selling point.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    If you've got high arches the adjustable Giro footbeds will have nowhere near enough support so don't make that a selling point.

Exactly.

High arches; get some proper aftermarket footbeds

Good quality shoes that'll last; don't get Giro or Fizik. Gaerne or Sidi are a much better bet.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I really like my R3's, combined with a set of Specialized footbeds they are perfect for me. But agree with poster above that they are definitely lightweight over durability and do scuff quite easily.
    Have no experience with Empires (would never buy them as I hate the idea of lace ups) but have been impressed with the durability of the top end-ish Giro (Gauge?) MTB shoes I've used for XC and CX this season. Much wider fit than the Fiziks. The 'adjustable' arch support insoles are useless though goes from low to none so only really useful if you have flat feet.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I also use the Spesh footbeds as find them good in terms of support and 'hot foot' prevention.

I went with the Giro Empires. The laces are great - after 2-3 rides they get used to your foot shape and make the shoes very comfortable.
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    I own both, and wouldn't use anything other than the empires. That's because they fit better though and I have very low volume feet, Fizik's are much bigger as a shoe for their length.

Empires come with insoles in which you can change the arch support, I used blue specializeds in my fiziks.

Buy whichever fit best.