Ultegra 6750 replacement chain rings?

corvusxiii
corvusxiii Posts: 26
edited January 2016 in Workshop
My 50T chain ring is in a shocking state although working fine. However I am gutted at the asking price for a genuine replacement. I'm sure I have read of non Shimano replacements but can't find the post. Have i made this up through wishfull thinking or do they exist? Any advice, recommendations and comments might cheer me up. Thanks Tim.

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    CRC have them for just over £50, which is about as cheap as you'll find them. Rose have them at €70 which is about the same. I'm sure you could make other 50t / 110 BCD chainrings fit and work, but I think they'd look pretty odd because the moulding on the spider wouldn't match a flat chainring.

ETA: looking at the exploded views on Shimano tech docs it's clear that your one-part chainring bolts screw directly into the chainring from the back (through the inner ring and spider)

If you opt for a cheaper 110mm BCD / 50t flat chainring, eg a 105 5700, you'll also need to buy a set of the 2 part chainring bolts, so factor that in too.

If it was me I'd just bite the bullet and buy an original from CRC. IME they last pretty well if you keep on top of chain replacement.
  • Right then, it looks as if I'm barking up the wrong tree. As I understood it someone has thought to manufacture pattern parts at comparable quality but very much cheaper. Considering what you can get for £50, an Ultegra chain ring does seem a lot for what it is. Cheers Tim.
  • keef66
    "As I understood it someone has thought to manufacture pattern parts at comparable quality but very much cheaper"

You may be right; I've not heard of any though. Luckily for me I have older, simpler 105 and Tiagra chainsets I can fit any old rings to.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Considering what you can get for £50, an Ultegra chain ring does seem a lot for what it is. Cheers Tim.
    Very true in this case. I have only come across 1 aftermarket company that makes a chainring similar in appearance to the 6750 (can't remember what company though) and it didn't have the nicely ramped teeth and not likely to last any longer than Shimano yet was close to the same price. For 50 quid the Shimano piece is a bargain.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I have had a similar experience - with a compact I found that the 34 was used only for decent hills meaning I used the 50t most of the time resulting in eventual wear - it was one of the factors that made me adopt a semi-compact.

I would agree that the quality and cosmetics issues mandate biting the bullet and getting a genuine Shimano 50t replacement.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Bah! (Grump Grump).
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Tiagra now has the same 4-bolt profile, so you might start seeing some cheaper replacements coming along...
  • keef66
    Tiagra now has the same 4-bolt profile, so you might start seeing some cheaper replacements coming along...

6750 is 5 bolt isn't it??
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Ah, yes it is, sorry - cancel that...
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Have a look at Spa Cycles.They have a large range of Stronglight ones £30.
  • Yes, 5 bolt 110mm pcd. Just on Spa Cycles now. Very interesting. Zircal, Dural, Silent Witness and ceramic. Any one with experience of this kit?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I stupidly bought a copy from Mistervelo.com for 35EUR, thinking I was buying the real thing because the site was in French. Its the right shape and would do the job but the colour is wrong. Not sure I will ever use it as it wouldnt look right and would annoy me - if you are near Reading you would be welcome to it for £20 but I cant really be bothered to package and post it - I may still use it someday.
  • Not near Reading but not too far from Spa Cycles. I am genetically tight so mere aesthetics don't count for much. Still have some dithering time though.
  • keef66
    Well if you pop into Spa Cycles they could likely stick a new ring on for you, see if you could cope with it looking a little odd...
  • apreading
    I am guessing some of the Spa ones may look like this:

product.php?image_id=16658&w=2000&h=2000&c=1

http://www.mantel.com/uk/ta-specialites-ultra-shimano-67006750-8909

Its actually a better job than I thought, trying to hide the fact that its not fully molded like the Shimano originals.

The one I got was properly molded, but the colour didnt match. It was from here http://www.mistervelo.com/plateau-shimano-ultegra-6750-ct2-110mm.html but the website times out at the moment for some reason.
  • keef66
    Given a choice between that for £40 or the Shimano part for £50 I'd go Shimano.

My guess is the Spa offerings are simple, flat chainrings from £15-20 upwards, which may appeal to the fiscally prudent gene the OP claims to posess.
  • apreading
    Given a choice between that for £40 or the Shimano part for £50 I'd go Shimano.

Me too.

Actually, this is quite interesting: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ShimStar-Chainring-Bolt-covers-for-Ultegra-FC-6750-130BCD-Chainsets-/121847913737 If you do get a flat chainring then this would help tidy it up a little.
  • The OEM version has specially shaped ramps and pins that assist smooth STI shifting.

For info, I'm using a Stronglight 50t ring on an old bike and it has pins but no ramps.
  • Borders roadie, will almost certainly will get Ultegra ring but then again.... what are your views of the Stronglight product. I'm not over fussed by the changing performance unless it's that poor that even occasional ring changes are onerous. Really want to not give my money to Shimano in this instance but probably will.
  • The Stronglight was £29 and it's been fine. The thing is I use it on my n+1 spare winter bike, my old steel frame bike with friction shifters and 8 speed (although I'm told the ring is 8/9/10 compatible) so there are no issues with front shifting as the manual method negates the need for ramps.

The truth is it's absolutely fine and gets a couple of thousand miles of proper filthy winter riding a year ( I use the nicer winter bike on less grimy days so I wreck the oldie instead). My hunch is that it'd be fine with STI shifting but the OEM Ultegra might have slightly smoother shifting and last a wee while longer, although I have no complaints on my much-abused and rarely cleaned Stronglight number.

It's this one: http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b2s149p296

I've just noticed it says "Stronglight rings are Shimano compatible"

Hope that helps.