Rockrider 560 shorter stem?

ChrisHigs
ChrisHigs Posts: 26
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
I bought a RR560 last year and I've been having lots of fun with it. Been up to BPW and go to a local trail every Thursday night.

I was speaking to someone who said a shorter stem might help with the steep descents I mostly ride on. It currently has a 110mm stem which looks a lot longer than most other bikes. Would changing it to a 50mm be a good idea?

Comments

• kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    I would go to 50mm right away, as that could negatively effect the climbing ability of your bike. I would recommend maybe a 70mm for that typ of bike.

Stems are a bit of a try and like or not like thing, you have to play around with it.
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It will make the bike feel a lot shorter unless you widen the bars as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Do you mean you wouldn't recommend 50mm?

So maybe buy a shorter stem and widen the bars? Would that be more noticeable sitting down than when standing on the pedals?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shortening the stem and widening the bars should leave your shoulders and torso in about the same position.

Just shortening the stem would affect seated as well as out the saddle riding as it would move your weight further back.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I might be entirely wrong but I feel like I am a little too front heavy on my bike when going down some steep descents and steps so I'm wondering if the shorter stem will help with that. I've oredered a couple of cheapy ones to try out, 60mm and 80mm.
  • kickaxe
    kickaxe Posts: 446
    I might be entirely wrong but I feel like I am a little too front heavy on my bike when going down some steep descents and steps so I'm wondering if the shorter stem will help with that. I've oredered a couple of cheapy ones to try out, 60mm and 80mm.

Sounds good!
    -Cube Acid 29" 2013
    -A new Giant Trance 3 2015!