Advice required

Speedbird001
Speedbird001 Posts: 5
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased a Pinnacle Lithium Two 2015 Hybrid from Evans as per this topic.

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13041744

Anyway, I collected the bike last week and went for my 2nd ride on it this morning which ended up in a bit of a disaster as the rear wheel came off whilst I was peddling uphill :shock:
Not happy! :evil:

So I went to Evans who agreed to refund me (£320.00). He did say that they would be happy to sell me a better bike and even if it is more expensive, they will try to discount it the original purchase price of the Lithium Two.

So just wondering what would you guys do?
I kind of feel a bit nervous about buying from them again, but I was grateful for his offer.

He mentioned the Trek brand would be quite good although the cheapest disc brake hybrid on their site is the Trek Allant 7.2 2016, at nearly £500 which I do not think they will discount to £320 somehow!

And just to state, I only need a bike for leisure, (no commuting) so presume that Hybrid is still the way to go?

Look forward to your advice.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Did you check the QRs were tight before your ride? UNless something actually broke, just put the wheel back on and carry on riding...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Sounds like the Q/R was not done up properly. This is something the rider should check before every ride. I know I don't but I should and the OP should too.

Ride the bike with the Q/R done up properly. If you don't know how ask Evans to show you.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I am sure Evans are more then happy to sell you a better bike... but the rear wheel shouldn't come in any case. As other have suggested is sounds like the QR was not done up right. Hope there was no damage to the bike or the rider!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    If the wheel was loose would it not have come undone on the first ride?
    Had you done anything to it? How did you get it home?

Wheels only come loose if they aren't tight. I've been riding for decades and never had a wheel come loose so just tighten it properly and you're good to go.

I don't commute either but I wouldn't have a hybrid. Road bike is far better for me for doing longer rides.

I'm not sure why you want another bike. Any bike can have a loose wheel if it's not tightened properly.
    Would you swap your car if it got a puncture?
  • Hi,

Thanks all for your replies.

There was some damage done to the bike hence why I returned it. I also did not feel comfortable with a bike that had such an issue so early on, (i.e, in total, a 6 minute bike ride over 2 days).

The first ride I did on the bike was only for 5 minutes around the block.

I do not think it was a matter that the QR was loose or comparing this to a car puncture. The actual skewer itself had failed according to Evans, who also said that this was a problem for the early versions of this bike, although it was presumed to have been fixed..

I'm not too keen on the road bikes as I'm not after something too fast or something with really narrow wheels. A hybrid looked like a good option.
  • I have bought bikes from Evans and had repairs/services done and their sales/service has been ok. complaints have been handled well and they have looked after me. i would buy from them again without question.

It seems in your case they are trying to do right by you. so i wouldn't have a problem going back. im my experience i asked for more (discount) and i got it without really trying.

good luck
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • MattFT
    MattFT Posts: 178
    I have bought bikes from Evans and had repairs/services done and their sales/service has been ok. complaints have been handled well and they have looked after me. i would buy from them again without question.

It seems in your case they are trying to do right by you. so i wouldn't have a problem going back. im my experience i asked for more (discount) and i got it without really trying.

good luck

+1 I've always found Evans to try to do the right thing and their shop staff to be decent. I'd give them another chance.
    FCN: 4

My Condor R.I.P.

Enigma Echo - everything outside the city
    Genesis Day One Disc - commuter
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I got a bike from evans, out of the shop I rode it to the car. It handled strangely to start due to both wheels not being secure.. must be an evans thing :-)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,702
    There was a recall on some models of Pinnacle due to a faulty gear hanger allowing the back wheel to move, see this. This could be why they are doing what they can to sort you out. They may well discunt the Trek to the same price, ask. If you are happy with a hybrid stick with a hybrid.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Sounds like good service to me - you buy bike, you break bike, they take broken bike back, offer you better bike at broken bike price.

Yeah, I'd go for it but ask them to show you round it before you ride off so you know that all is done up.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.