Drawing routes on maps

wheeleasy
wheeleasy Posts: 3
edited January 2016 in Routes
Can anyone help? I want to draw coloured routes on maps, each in a different colour. The purpose is to show pupils and staff at local schools the safest cycle routes from various parts of town to school. I'm a voluntary cycling campaigner and am involved in encouraging more people to cycle to school.
I can create the routes easily by riding them and mapping them on my Garmin. I then want to upload the routes onto maps, generally with each school at the centre of the map for that school. I want to show several routes, each in a different colour, leading from the school north, south, east and west, covering all or most of the residential areas where pupils within cycling distance of the school, live.
I'm not technical, and having downloaded some GIS software find I can't make head or tail of it. So I'm hoping to find someone who can explain to me in easy steps a straightforward way of achieving what I'm after.
I would like the maps to be available online, but also plan to have them printed in A4 so that they can be distributed to the pupils and staff.

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    If you're creating gpx files (or whatever Garmin use) then you could convert these to KML files (http://www.mygpsies.com) and open them up in google earth. You can change the properties of the line (thickness, colour, etc) then produce a map from there.

Another option would be to create the routes (without riding them) in something like viewranger (my.viewranger.com, registration required but free to use unless you need to buy OS maps/tiles). Again, you can export these and use them in google earth or even google maps online so you don't have the satellite imagery.

The advantage of using viewranger to generate the routes would be that it simplifies the route, ie doesn't include all the wobbly lines and speed data that the garmin data will. I only suggest viewranger as it's one I'm familiar with and find it easy to use and there's loads of maps you can view (google maps, open street maps, etc).

If using google maps you can share the maps with routes highlited from there.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Many thanks indeed. I will look into both of these, and any more suggestions that come in, and will certainly post if successful. Much appreciated.