GoreTex One

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited January 2016 in Commuting chat
Been bought one of these jackets for my birthday. Not tried it in anger yet.

The first thing that strikes you is how light it is (my electronic kitchen scales say it's around 111g). For those who know the Montane Featherlite jackets, it's very similar weight and feel. GoreTex guarantee that this jacket is permanently waterproof though (and will repair or replace if it isn't). I have XL and the sizing is similar to Castelli and Rapha Pro cut. It's pretty fitted - especially for "on the bike". Stood, with shoulders back, it's quite tight across the chest.

It has one zipped pocket on the left clearly designed to be access with the right hand as the pocket goes backward. The front is quite short and it has a longer tail. Only available in an oily black with gold reflective features.

I've a preference for these types of jacket over the "waterproof" jacket/jersey of the Gabba/Mossa type thing - popped in a pocket for heavy downpours or mechanicals. And this s the type of jacket you'd hardly notice was there: it's the same weight as my Garmin 1000 or iPhone 5 and will pack nearly as small.

I've done the (ultimately pointless) "run it under the tap" test for a minute or two on the same spot. There's no DWR to lose. It's not meant to be especially robust - no back packs - so it's horses for courses as usual.

The next few days look icy so I won't be on the bike but I'll try it out when it next rains.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Looks interesting but i think im settled now on staying warm even if that means being soaked through, today i took a gamble and wore just a ss gabba with a base layer and matching no rain arm warmers, partly because i knew it wasnt going to rain but also because i planned a hill repeat session, to my amazement i was toasty ans felt very comfortable even pushing a big gear, the only time i was uncomfortable was when i popped a rapha windproof over the top to ride home.

Too hot
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    Yup - I'm a believer in focussing on staying warm but there are times when the heavens open when the constant cold rain overcomes the heat that you can generate and it's good to have that extra layer. There were a couple of occasions over Xmas whilst doing F500 that I was glad of this. I always carry it so having something good is useful.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    Ha yeah i get that totally

Talking festive 500 on my last ride it was of cours pissing with rain and blowing gale force winds the last thing i wanted was a visit from the PF to my horror i coukd hear that regular click from an embedded flint in tyre, the first thing that went through my mind was im going to freeze to death fixing this, as it happens i pulled it out and it stayed inflated.

Result!

Still no word from rapha on my roundel grrrr
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    Absolutely! My penultimate ride was in Storm Frank - both feet and BB submerged at the same time, then in the small ring into the wind on the flat. Even my favourite AirJack (Gabba isn't man enough for that weather) was eventually struggling to cope so stuck my clear Assos shell over the top. Not a day to get a Visit. Fortunately I was on my Rubinos - too long ago to remember when I last had a Visit on them.
  • itboffin
    If you like rubino pros as do i you'll love Vredestein tricomp they're discontinued but still available, i rode mine year before last on the HOTA and still riding them now, in fact only yesterday i descended at +40 mph in torrential rain over mud and gravel covered roads with total confidence.

£13 at ribble
  • meanredspider
    Are you running 23c? It's probably 6 years since I rode 23c - they do look great value though.
  • itboffin
    Are you running 23c? It's probably 6 years since I rode 23c - they do look great value though.

Yep they come up as 24 on my open pros as do my 25c Vittoria paves
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    im very jealous of this jacket, i cant justify the cost of it but really want it...
  • Looks like I missed the boat on this one.

Doesn't seem available anywhere in XL anymore and it's been limited to a run of 1000 apparently. I'd be very interested in a follow up report meanredspider, to find out how breathable it is. Fingers crossed they produce a few more, or something similar along the same vein. It looks excellent
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm sure it will be amazing; looking forward to reading your review once you've tested it.
    I was once again reminded how good my Goretex Paclite jacket is on Saturday evening. An hour in the pouring rain and my torso was the one part of me that wasn't soaking wet. Clever stuff. And it's just about pocketable if I roll it up tightly.
  • meanredspider
    I'll be sure to test it as soon as I can. I tend to run hot anyway (was told, even as a fit lean teenager, that I wouldn't be much good in the tropics) and perspire freely so I will definitely push its capabilities.

Out of interest, I weighed my Rapha Race Cape last night too - it was around 250g. The only thing I'm a bit surprised about from Gore is that the jacket doesn't come with any sort of case or bag - even a net like the Montane has. Or, like the Assos version, a pocket that it folds into.

Don't give up looking for these. Evans, in particular, has had sizes come and go and then reappear again. I'm also sure that the Limited Edition is a bit of a marketing trick. Mine is numbered (292 ex 1000 I think) but I'm fully expecting there to be a regular version along. I might even have signed up to some beta test. They've picked the perfect time of the perfect year to launch it!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If this is our weather for the next few years they should sell truckloads. Can't see it making commercial sense to spend on the development of something like this and then only make 1000... Unless as you say you've effectively paid to become a beta tester :shock:

Back in the late 70s I bought some of the 1st gen Goretex when I was climbing / backpacking. Extremely breathable but it leaked when it got even slightly dirty. Got it replaced a couple of times FOC but the same story. Should really have got my money back but I stopped using it in extreme weather and never got round to it.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Yeah - my guess is that the limited run is in order to have the free lifetime replacements. If they get too many coming back, they will modify the design before releasing V2 without the guarantee. If not then they will just re-release it with token changes as a V2, but again probably without the guarantee.
  • meanredspider
    My experience with Gore UK customer services has been superb which gives me the confidence to buy products like this. I made a comment about the sleeves on my Phantom twisting in and they acknowledged it immediately - offered me a Gen 2 replacement and offered to upgrade that at a future date too.

They were also superb with the jerseys I used for TCT fundraising. I have a lot of respect for Gore
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Sigma have large in stock as i type - I was considering (in basket ready to check out - then I remembered I had read post here) as I have other gore stuff in large but given MRS comments on sizing in OP i have let it pass
  • meanredspider
    Tomorrow is looking promising to give this jacket a go.
  • meanredspider
    I rode for the first 10 minutes in the jacket this morning but the weather was so mild I took it off. It's due to be colder tonight and "hopefully" it will rain.

First impression though:
    - good wind protection
    - too short a test to check breathability. Didn't feel clammy when I took it off though so I remain hopeful.
    - fit on the bike was fine especially for a hardshell. I wouldn't say it fitted like a glove (more snug around the base of my ribs - though I'm carrying a bit of weight and a bit flappy above my shoulders) but good enough.

It really is very light and compact so I hope it will be a great jacket to carry as an extra layer or quality rain protection.