Bike security

Pedro872
Pedro872 Posts: 67
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

After a recent spate of cycle theft from garages/sheds/houses in my area I'm getting very twitchy as regards the security of my bikes so much so that I've been looking at various different options. Something I really do like the look of is the Asgard range of storage options, expensive yes, but what price do you put on peace of mind.

Has anyone got an Asgard bike store, and if so how do you rate it?

Also what other security measures do you have in place?

Thanks,

Pete.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Most bikes are in the house. About ten at the moment. Half a dozen in the shed. But the shed doesn't have a lock.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Mines chained to an anchor point on my garage wall. Garage is also locked and I have insurance to payout full price of my bike if it does get stolen (also covers me if it gets stole from in, or on, my car).

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • guandax
    guandax Posts: 44
    Two separate ground anchors and two gold standard chains. If they try hard enough nothing will stop them.
    Canyon Spectral 7.0ex 2015
    Giant Trance X3 2011 (retired but not sold!)
  • Having had bikes stolen before from a town center, I understand your concerns.

Firstly I would use a gold standard lock, and have some insurance. If you are storing it at home I would suggest keeping it indoors.

But if you have to keep it outdoors then I would suggest locking it down to concrete and having some pre warning system. Depends how technical you want to get. But some PIRs set up around the perimeter should give you an early indication.

It does all come down to cost though :)
  • Nothing will stop someone who is determined enough. The best you can do is slow them down.

But a ground anchor and a gold lock should do this, but make sure you have insurance and if you can put some deterrents in place like some PIRs linked to Lights or a siren.

Other than that it is the luck of the draw.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    I keep five bikes indoors, one in the shed which does have a lock

As others have said, there's no such thing as absolute security

You've just got to make it as difficult as possible for a thief. Lights on sensors, chains, blah, blah

If you have to store an expensive bike in a shed, consider removing the front wheel and keeping it elsewhere in the house.

Also, try not to flaunt your bike when you leave/return to the house.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    I'm sure the Asgard stores are stronger than an average shed, but I'd worry that it advertises you've something worth taking.
    The products on security for bikes website have Sold Secure or Secured by Design approval and look like good no-gimmicks solutions at sensible prices.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp