Problem with San Marco Rolls saddle

ForumNewbie
ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
edited January 2016 in Tour & expedition
I bought a Selle San Marco Rolls saddle, but the width of the rails are too narrow to fit my seatpost. The width of the rails across is one eighth of an inch narrower than all my other saddles. I started this thread on the Road Buying Advice forum on got some advice, but as it is a saddle popular on touring bikes, I was hoping some of you guys that may have had the same experience could give me some advice:
viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13042300
I've tried wedging the rails further apart but I can't get them to move. I just wonder if my saddle is likely to be a one-off faulty one as they are hand made.

Comments

• whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I have used various Rolls saddles with different seat pins without any trouble over a 25 year period. Unfortunately the last one I had broke last year so I don't have one to compare to yours. I would suggest that you measure the width between the rails say at the widest and narrowest place and post a picture showing exactly where you measured it from, then someone else can do the same with theirs and see if your is unusual.
    I would also suggest post it on the CTC forum under 'does anyone know' as there are bound to be a few people in that site with one.
    http://forum.ctc.org.uk/index.php
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I have used various Rolls saddles with different seat pins without any trouble over a 25 year period. Unfortunately the last one I had broke last year so I don't have one to compare to yours. I would suggest that you measure the width between the rails say at the widest and narrowest place and post a picture showing exactly where you measured it from, then someone else can do the same with theirs and see if your is unusual.
    I would also suggest post it on the CTC forum under 'does anyone know' as there are bound to be a few people in that site with one.
    http://forum.ctc.org.uk/index.php
    Thanks for your response. I measured the width of the rails on 3 other saddles that I have, and from the outside edge of the left rail to the outside edge of the right rail they all were exactly 2 inches. These saddles all slot perfectly into the rails on the seatposts on my 3 different bikes. The rails on the San Marco Rolls is exactly one and seven-eighth inches across - i.e. one eighth of an inch too narrow to fit the seatpost slots on any of my bikes. Advice I've had is to wedge the rails apart, but that seems impossible, and I don't want to risk damaging the saddle. Even if I did manage to clamp it into the slots somehow, it would be too tight to move it back and forth to find the best position. I'd also be concerned that bending the rails would put too much stress on them and risk them snapping at some point in the future.

I'm disappointed but I think I'm going to have to send it back and look for a different saddle.