Forks.. Replace short travel HT forks with rigid fork?

mattyfez
mattyfez Posts: 638
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all..
I have some suntour xcm forks.. They probably have 1500 miles on them.
I ride in all weathers and commute and they are pretty shot.. Water has got past the seals and they particularly sieze.. They losen up a bit with a couple of hard pumps.

So I'm considering options.. It's a hard tail that does singletrack, occasionally trail centers like Dalby, and cross country sheep trails and bridleways..

Someone has offered me an older mantiou 100mm fork for very good money including fitting.

Also considering a new suntour epixion 100mm.

It's a straight steerer and needs to be 80 to 100mm,possibly 120mm if I can sag it down without too much compromise.. so I'm limited in choice.

I'm also tall 6'3 with a 22" frame so if going 2nd hand I'd need a fork with a tube that's not been cut down too much. Even more limited!

That got me thinking about rigid forks.. Anyone converted an HT to rigid? How do you find it? I imagine it would be cheaper and lighter and less maintenance.

Considering how bad and sticky my current forks are I was thinking a rigid disc compatible fork might be an option as my riding is more off road touring than rad downhill and jumps etc.

Cheers

Comments

• mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Just to add, I already have the seat post quite high so I don't want to be lifting the front end up much, if at all.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    i would go for the forks but its up.to you, my commuter/ xc hardtail has reba forks on it and i dont find it effects my riding.

do the forks have lockout and are they air spring or coil spring as you will want to replace the forks with something better and lightweight if you are going to with another set of suspension forks.