Puncture protection and mixing tyres

grenw
grenw Posts: 804
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Both me and the missus have been picking up a few punctures recently. Small flints working their way through the rubber and slowly cutting the tube. Couple of questions before I open my wallet...

Would getting something like a set of Conti 4 Seasons help? Or even Gatorskins. Currently using GP4000 s2s

Anything wrong with fitting the more protective tyres only on the back. It's where the weight is and consequently where the punctures happen. Coming from an MTB background I'm used to having grippier tyres on the front and wondered whether many did this on the road? Also would save on a couple of new tyres.

Comments

• nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    Nothing wrong with that, if you look at some "paired" tyres like Mavic Power/Pro Grip or Continental Force/Attack tyres, they tend to have a narrower, gripper (more vulnerable?) compound up front and a heavier, more protected, lower rolling resistance tyre at the back.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    On my bike I use a Panaracer Race D Evo 2 four season tyre on the rear wheel and a Giant PSLR-2 soft compound tyre on the front wheel both 25c, I have not experienced handling problems. Like you, my thinking was to put the tyre with more puncture protection on the rear wheel.
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    Would getting something like a set of Conti 4 Seasons help? Or even Gatorskins. Currently using GP4000 s2s

I'm finding Schwalbe Durano Plus tyres really good for not getting punctures in wet, mud and grit.
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Both me and the missus have been picking up a few punctures recently. Small flints working their way through the rubber and slowly cutting the tube. Couple of questions before I open my wallet...

Anything wrong with fitting the more protective tyres only on the back. It's where the weight is and consequently where the punctures happen. Coming from an MTB background I'm used to having grippier tyres on the front and wondered whether many did this on the road? Also would save on a couple of new tyres.

I use both GP4s and GP4000 s2's and both have the same Vectran puncture protection. I've found both to be really good but as the tyre ages, they appear to puncture more frequently.

I've got just under 3k miles on a GP4S and had a couple of punctures in succession despite nothing over two Autumn/winters to date.

I've already got a new set ready and while I can't speak for other brands, I have great confidence in Conti tyres and if you buy on special offer, are great value in my book.
  • jc8
    jc8 Posts: 6
    Another fan of Schwalbe Durano Plus 28mm on the back with a Schwalbe Durano 25mm on the front of the PX. No punctures on the back with 2 years of commuting with this mixed tyre set up.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    This time of year (probably 3 seasons!) I tend to use GP 4 Season tyres. I think they provide a better level of grip and protection on anything other than smooth dry roads than the GP4000s. The compound used is not particularly hardy, but I find provides an acceptable trade off between protection and feel. As they wear, (as previous poster stated) I think they become more prone to sharpies. I've heard good things about the Durano Plus which may be a slightly heavier construction - not sure and have not personally tried them out. I also highly rate the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance which can sometimes be had for a bargain price - very good tyres. My inclination would be towards same tyre/ tread pattern front and rear for consistency sake - if memory serves, the attack/ force whilst different widths have same composition.

Peter
  • grenw
    Thanks all. Going to go for some GP4s. Think I may just go for same front and back. 4 new tyres then...

Had 2 more punctures on the GP4000s today but for a change had one front and one back which is what is making me think about changing them all. They've done 2,000 miles on them so they may be getting near that puncture point - certainly the rear is squaring off a little. That said the stone I pulled out of the rear (2 miles into the ride!!) I was able to pull out between my thumb and finger it was that big. Normally you have to go hunting for the culprit.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    tubeless tyres or tubs for me. Gator skin tubs are pretty hardy as so seems my vittoria all weather.

For clinchers try the Challange strada or strada bianca (if you have clearance) or the Conti Gator skin hardshell. Conti GP4 seasons are terrible for me. Had no end of holes and side wall cuts. Not something I have ever had with other tyres.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Both me and the missus have been picking up a few punctures recently. Small flints working their way through the rubber and slowly cutting the tube. Couple of questions before I open my wallet....

You've answered your own question - it's a slow process and therefore entirely preventable. Yes, you can get less nice, heavier tyres or, for the same result, just dig the flints out of the existing tyres every so often. Doesn't take long and is very effective and free! It's just routine maintenance!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • grenw
    Both me and the missus have been picking up a few punctures recently. Small flints working their way through the rubber and slowly cutting the tube. Couple of questions before I open my wallet....

You've answered your own question - it's a slow process and therefore entirely preventable. Yes, you can get less nice, heavier tyres or, for the same result, just dig the flints out of the existing tyres every so often. Doesn't take long and is very effective and free! It's just routine maintenance!

Yep, Started doing that as well. Learning as I go along!

First winter on the road after a few years off road. No punctures in 6 months of riding and then 7 between us in around 200 miles of riding.
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392

I read an article a while back (possibly on RCUK) that flints do not work their way through the tyre: they in fact wear down from the surface if left in the tyre. Whether this is true or not, I don't know. But it's an interesting idea and it sounds plausible for tyres with a kevlar belt.
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    To try and avoid the dreaded winter roadside repair this year I have purchased conti inner tubes with a removable valve core which when taken out gives you the opportunity to stick some tyre sealant in. Thread locked the valve core back in again and away I go!!

Here's hoping :shock:
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    8 years ago when I returned to road cycling I bought a bike to ride year round, all weathers, so the bike shop recommended & fitted 25mm GP4S tyres. Apart from a couple of pinch flats due to laziness and a javelin like thorn that went through the sidewall, they never punctured. Wore them both right down to the carcass. Replaced them with more of the same, and they've been equally good.
    When I bought my CR1 frameset I bought a load of cheap components to get 2 bikes up and running ASAP. The cheap wire bead Rubinos went on the old, now wet weather bike. Second wet ride and a shard of flint went straight through the middle of the tread and made a nice lattice of the tube as it deflated. They came straight off when I got home and are hanging up in the garage for emergency use only

I now have the GP4S back on the wet bike and some nice new Michelin Pro4 SC on the CR1

It's odd that Cycleclinic's experience with the Conti 4 Seasons is so different from mine; we must ride a lot of the same roads... Perhaps the fact he does about 10 times my mileage??
  • Get some really durable tyres for the winter. Gatorskins are very good. Not so good in handling though. Something like the Michelin Pro4 Endurance are perfect.