on the lookout aggro 29er...

Herdwick
Herdwick Posts: 523
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
I am on the lookout for a new bike, it's time for my on one 456 to get some rest
In the recent months I had the chance to ride some realy nice enduro bikes that some friends own and where happy to lend me for a few rides, Orbea Rallon x10 and x30, Rose uncle jimbo, Commencal meta am v4, Nukeproof 275 am, Kona process 153 and the Orbea occam 29er

All of the above where riden at my local trails and not just twice, the bike that suit me best, was, the Orbea occam 29er, the only downside was the noodly and crap dumping fox 32 evo fork,
It's fast, steady at speed, corners well at low speed and won't leave the ground easily, good peddal manners albeit on the heavy side.
So I am looking for an aggressive 29er and my budget is 2200eu, bikes with excessive (635mm+) stack and short reach (440mm-) are out e.g on one codeine, cube 120 29er hpa etc

whyte t129 rs the perfect fit but budget is low

So what you recomend?
“I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Comments

• Herdwick
    I am 185cm, long legs, long arms
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    kona fits the bill but they don't have any l/xl available :cry:
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/nerve/

great 29ers for the money.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Herdwick
    VWsurfbum[/url]"]<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mtb/nerve</span>/

great 29ers for the money.

He probably wants it within the next year.

^^^

No comment. . .
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774

He also said he wanted an aggressive tyype 29er, Canyon don't make one yet so it will be a really long wait
  • Herdwick
    Rose Root Miller looks decent and well priced too, with an extra 110 euros you get a pike up front
    http://www.rosebikes.com/bike/rose-root-miller-1-29-2016/aid:816544
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    Good bike but still quite xc
  • Herdwick
    Not slack enough eh?

An angle set may do the trick,
    It's the cash flow the main issue here, if weren't, I would flip a coin for a Evil the following or Ibis ripley ls
    But want to keep it at reasonable cost
    Still looking
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's not just the head angle. You can make it slacker and lower but it's always going to feel like a bodge.
    I wouldn't even consider an Evil, they haven't made a frame yet which doesn't fall to pieces.
    How about a Specialized Stumpjumper 29? Absolutely brilliant bike and there's some good bargains around. A second hand one with a Pike and 11 speed could even be a very good buy. Specialized concept store managers seem to be quite incompetent in a way which benefits buyers as well. One of my friends bought the top spec carbon Stumpy 29error priced up as the mid spec aluminium model and another friend bought an ex demo bike with a huge discount which turned out to be an ex display bike and never ridden.
  • Herdwick
    Never seen an evil up close but are that bad?! Can't affort one so no reason to argue about,
    Spesh have a high front end it gives me the feeling that you sit on top of the bike not in it, feels like a motocross bike.
    You find good deals on them though...
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    Try riding one, they're really very good.
  • A friend bought a new 2015 carbon spesh recently for a shade under £600. The staff member at the bike shop sold it at the amount they were discounting off the bike rather than final discounted price. So may find a good deal on old stock out there!
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    The staff member at the bike shop sold it at the amount they were discounting off the bike rather than final discounted price.

Stupidity in lbs staff is rarely tolerable, but this level of incompetence should be encouraged.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • Herdwick
    A friend bought a new 2015 carbon spesh recently for a shade under £600. The staff member at the bike shop sold it at the amount they were discounting off the bike rather than final discounted price. So may find a good deal on old stock out there!

Why sellers down here aren't that stupid?huh?
    If you walk to a bike store here they grab your @ss first then ask if you need any help!!! :shock:
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Kenesis FF29. Run mine rigid with the Kenesis fork and you could call it aggressive. I have set mine up to give me a similar postion to my road bike when I am on the hoods. It is a proper XC race bike.

The frames are not expensive either and to be honest for me at least there is not a better frameset.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Herdwick
    Kenesis FF29. Run mine rigid with the Kenesis fork and you could call it aggressive. I have set mine up to give me a similar postion to my road bike when I am on the hoods. It is a proper XC race bike.

The frames are not expensive either and to be honest for me at least there is not a better frameset.
    I am looking for a full susser, as I all ready have a HT, thanks for the input anyway!!!
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599

A rigid XC race bike, with roadie pretensions is hardly aggressive.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    I'd feel pretty aggressive after riding something like that!
  • Herdwick
    BH lynx 4.8 29error 7.7. Alu, a LBS gave me a good deal on a 2015 model, 1600 euro, waiting to see availability on xl size.
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • VWsurfbum
    If you could stretch a bit, check out the Transitions.
    I've had mine now over 2 years as an aggro 29er and its been faultless. done everything from DH races to a coast to coast XC
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum
    or look at the new Nukeproof Mega 290, bargain price
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Herdwick
    Guys, at 2200euro budget, I can bearly tough a frame only option from transition or nukeproof. Great bikes but not something I can buy unfortunatelly :(
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    1.32 Euros = 1 sterling pound

2599x1.32 = 3430,68euros
    So way out of budget
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    That Nukeproof is about as cheap as you're going to get for a hardcore 29er.
  • Herdwick
    That's what I am worried about...
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    The whyte t129 scr comes at 3040 or something half decent, but again...
    ― Kurt Vonnegut