How much wobble is acceptable on a tub

gotwood25
gotwood25 Posts: 314
edited January 2016 in Workshop
So just fitted some new tubs, Schwalbe Ones which have no discernable tread pattern you can follow when fitting. Span them in my hands and seemed pretty true however when spinning on the bike there is a bit side to side wobble.

Is a bit ok? Or should I remove and re-do?

Cheers

Comments

• noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Never really had side to side wobble. Usually a tiny amount of raised tub around the valve but thats unavoidable with most brands IME. I'd glue them again mate.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • gotwood25
    Never really had side to side wobble. Usually a tiny amount of raised tub around the valve but thats unavoidable with most brands IME. I'd glue them again mate.

Aye bit the bullet and re-did.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I usually go by the sidewall when there is no centre line to follow to make sure the tyre sits evenly.
    Seriously good tubs by the way.. havent used mine since September though but still plenty of air in them .. unlike latex inners which I am finding less than agreeable with their track pump routine each and every ride.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Even conti tubs are not perfectly straight there is always some side to side wobble. To be noticeable it has to be alot though several mm. Like wise for radial movement it has to alot to be noticable. Just get it as good as you can and enjoy the ride.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • gotwood25
    Even conti tubs are not perfectly straight there is always some side to side wobble. To be noticeable it has to be alot though several mm. Like wise for radial movement it has to alot to be noticable. Just get it as good as you can and enjoy the ride.

Cheers mate, thats good info. Was spending ages trying to get it 'perfect' which just wasn't happening, settled on getting it 'as best as I can' and it rides like a dream.