The Big Black Pudding Debate

Comments

• I came back from Stornoway with this lot. Kept us going for a while...

stornoway.jpg

Oh man, fruit pudding! Mmm, days of future passed.

Are you still able to get those breakfast packs in Glasgow corner shops with slices of black, fruit and haggis(? memory fail) pudding which put together with slices of square sausage and fried egg became 'the cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast'.

You can indeed, although the health conscious amongst us fry it up and blast it in a Nutribullet now.
  • stoveman
    stoveman Posts: 125
    Being cornish I love the traditional hogs pudding,although partial to the black pudding in the winter.
    Personally prefer to make my own where I add smoked back fat and bitter dark chocolate to the mix before poaching.
    Gives it a lovely richness and I usually serve it with venison loin :)

Phil
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    There's a 'healthy' version made with pearl barley instead of fat, and to be fair it's quite good. Although I do indulge in the proper stuff on occasion - I buy the diet stuff for home and have proper when out.

Best breakfast I ever had was in Edinburgh last year - hung over to oblivion and we popped into Asda not realising it had a café. One breakfast with (proper) black pudding, square sausage, bacon, eggs, lukewarm beans, grilled tomatoes, extra toast and two flasks of coffee between the three of us. Two breakfasts for a fiver, so the three of us shared the extra one.

Who's gonna start the best breakfast thread?
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    pudding-and-souse-300x200.jpg

Barbados traditional Saturday lunch/snack is black pudding and pickled breadfruit & pork features

Hard to get proper black pudding as a lot of places use veg option

But could eat pickled breadfruit and black pudding all day washed down with plenty rum and coconut water
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    stu-bim wrote:

Barbados traditional Saturday lunch/snack is black pudding and pickled breadfruit & pork features

But could eat pickled breadfruit and black pudding all day washed down with plenty rum and coconut water
    Mmmmm sounds good.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    seanoconn wrote:
    stu-bim wrote:

Mmmmm sounds good.

Serious cholesterol posting - this is Cake Stop seano, not Road General. :wink:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    About this time last year in Gran Canaria, had dinner in a Canarian cuisine restaurant. Starters included black pudding with avocado salsa; sounds good, 'av that. Presented with a dinner sized plate of sliced black pudding, about 20 of them, with a microscopic amount of green drizzle.

Mrs O will under no circumstances touch the 'filthy stuff'. Well, you have to give it a good go, what with the waiters taking bets and that... Was good, however 2 slices would have been ample.

Followed that with a main of goat stew.

Doubt my system has forgiven me yet.
  • pinno
    orraloon wrote:
    ...goat stew.

Best thing to do to a friggin goat.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    Shows this forum has a better developed sense of taste than the national average.
  • Booths around us only stock Bury black pudding. They also stock haggis and some veggie black pudding also from Bury. Not tried to the veggie one but love black pudding and haggis. Doesn't matter where from I'll like them all.

You've got to understand.it's primal eating blood products. I believe many hunter gatherers have traditions where on killing animals they eat either blood or the sweetmeats straight away (cooked but occasionally not cooked). Black pudding is just a very civilised version of this. I understand there's versions of black and white puddings in many countries. Blood is good food. I think this poll just backs up all those countries who independently came up with a good solution for eating blood in the black pudding.

PS what goes best with black pudding? Apple sauce, bacon, other meat based product or just plain fry up fare? BTW I've heard it before that Scottish do the fry up better than England. The full Scottish is better than the full English.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Anyone else tried it cold? Just me then.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I've asked a few people in real life and they generally look slightly appalled and make a strange noise before saying no. Just you I reckon Basil.
  • orraloon
    Ballysmate wrote:

I did have sight of cold slices of black pud presented as part of a 'buffet' at a do in Warwickshire, along with the sausage rolls, pork pie, egg and cress (on white of course), crisps, salted peanuts and that. There might have been tomato quarters but very few and far between.

Not normal. I declined :shock:
  • pinno
    orraloon wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

I did have sight of cold slices of black pud presented as part of a 'buffet' at a do in Warwickshire, along with the sausage rolls, pork pie, egg and cress (on white of course), crisps, salted peanuts and that. There might have been tomato quarters but very few and far between.

So when the fat is congealed due to temperature you won't eat it but whilst it is warm and not quite so chewy, you'll eat it?!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    Pinno wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

So when the fat is congealed due to
    temperature you won't eat it but whilst it is warm and not quite so chewy, you'll eat it?!
    Care to comment on the result of the poll?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • orraloon
    Pinno wrote:
    So when the fat is congealed due to temperature you won't eat it but whilst it is warm and not quite so chewy, you'll eat it?!

Correctamundo. Cold black pudding is worse than cold baked beans. Abomination to the senses.
  • pinno
    seanoconn wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

So when the fat is congealed due to
    temperature you won't eat it but whilst it is warm and not quite so chewy, you'll eat it?!
    Care to comment on the result of the poll?

The result of the poll points to the abject poor taste of British people and their unhealthy infatuation of the full English fried breakfast. It is little wonder we are such a fat unhealthy race of people. I am astounded that cyclists aren't taking better care of themselves and fulling up with better nutrition.
    Some may say that the black pudding on it's own isn't bad but no one can deny the cholesterol content of a full English.
  • mouth
    mouth Posts: 1,195
    Pinno wrote:
    The result of the poll points to the abject poor taste of British people and their unhealthy infatuation of the full English fried breakfast. It is little wonder we are such a fat unhealthy race of people. I am astounded that cyclists aren't taking better care of themselves and fulling up with better nutrition.
    Some may say that the black pudding on it's own isn't bad but no one can deny the cholesterol content of a full English.

It's the dose that kills you, not the poison. Maybe I haven't made it clear, but I eat black pudding perhaps 6 times a year, and seldom actually eat a full English. When I do, grilled low fat sausages, trimmed bacon (fry-light), grilled toms, wholemeal toast (2 slices from a 400g loaf, no butter), beans, and usually scrambled eggs (fry-light) because I don't like fried eggs.

My cholesterol level is so low that my doctor was actually concerned there was a fault with the test, enough so to make me repeat it.

As for your comment re cyclists not taking better nutritional care of themselves, we're mostly cyclists who work in offices, and on building sites, and drive buses and stuff. There are a few athletes in here, but very few. After a long ride, some protein (namely from the sausages, bacon, eggs, and black pudding) won't do any harm.
    The only disability in life is a poor attitude.
  • pinno
    Mouth wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

It's the dose that kills you, not the poison. Maybe I haven't made it clear, but I eat black pudding perhaps 6 times a year, and seldom actually eat a full English. When I do, grilled low fat sausages, trimmed bacon (fry-light), grilled toms, wholemeal toast (2 slices from a 400g loaf, no butter), beans, and usually scrambled eggs (fry-light) because I don't like fried eggs.

My cholesterol level is so low that my doctor was actually concerned there was a fault with the test, enough so to make me repeat it.

As for your comment re cyclists not taking better nutritional care of themselves, we're mostly cyclists who work in offices, and on building sites, and drive buses and stuff. There are a few athletes in here, but very few. After a long ride, some protein (namely from the sausages, bacon, eggs, and black pudding) won't do any harm.

Not in the slightest bit defensive :wink:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS_K_eD7WswUApyoICXtePd6Up85SDUQXfLydtYi78oKjrj9XPBbp4Ehnra
  • guym
    guym Posts: 50
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Quite often eat it cold, but I live in Ireland and ours doesn't have the big lumps of fat in it. I always cook too much and the left overs sit on a plate in the fridge ready for when the urge strikes......lovely stuff :lol:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    guym wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Quite often eat it cold, but I live in Ireland

and then you also have the white pudding as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have a full English so infrequently that I'm happy to pig out on one occasionally. Quality sausages, black pud, bacon etc. Marvellously indulgent!

Do people really still eat that kind of stuff daily?? :shock:
  • guym
    guym Posts: 50
    nicklouse wrote:
    guym wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Quite often eat it cold, but I live in Ireland

and then you also have the white pudding as well.

white puddings good stuff too.....no pigs blood involved though :lol:
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    You lot are bloody disgusting! Devil's work is black pudding, devil's work I tell ya!
  • pinno
    Joelsim wrote:
    You lot are bloody disgusting! Devil's work is black pudding, devil's work I tell ya!

Quite agree (unless your post is tongue in cheek and if it is in the Donald Trump style... I'll remind you that I am in the Waste Management Bizness).
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    White pudding uncooked and sliced up for a sandwich mmmmmmm
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • forehead
    forehead Posts: 180
    orraloon wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Correctamundo. Cold black pudding is worse than cold baked beans. Abomination to the senses.

Cold baked beans are ace. Not quite as good as the 'cook em til their f**ked' method, but still delicious straight from the tin.
    Cube - Peloton
    Cannondale - CAAD10
  • orraloon
    Forehead wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Cold baked beans are ace. Not quite as good as the 'cook em til their f**ked' method, but still delicious straight from the tin.

^ Weirdo.
  • joelsim
    orraloon wrote:
    Forehead wrote:
    orraloon wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

^ Weirdo.

Seconded. Beans ok if they also include loads of cheese, are on toast and with lashings of brown sauce.
  • joelsim
    Pinno wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Quite agree (unless your post is tongue in cheek and if it is in the Donald Trump style... I'll remind you that I am in the Waste Management Bizness).

No tongue in cheek there. Congealed blood and fat isn't my thing.