Brake upgrade

rocky_rider
rocky_rider Posts: 24
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Gents & ladies

Looking for sensible suggestions to upgrade Magura Julie brakes on a recently acquired Marin as I am less than impressed with them when wet and/or dirty. There's a bewildering array of Hope, Shimano, Avid etc versions available and I just don't know what to make of some of them. I'm XC or Enduro, but mainly XC. The rotors are 6 hole jobs but can't recall off hand if IS or PM.

:?: :?:

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shimano.
    Deore, SLX or XT depending on your budget. Deore (m615) are a a bargain.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    SLX brakes are on sale for £75 from Merlin at the moment. Bargain.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    SLX's at that price are barely (if at all) more than Deores and the reach adjust is occasionally useful. They'd be the ideal upgrade.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Yep, Shimano all the way. I'd go with the SLX.

Shimano really have their brakes sorted - they are just a fit and forget item.
  • Good stuff. I've seen SLX recommended and Hope C1 (I think). I'll check out the SLX further.
  • No, it was Formula C1 bundle full set for £89.99 or SLX M675 with XT RT76 rotors at £60.48 each. Both from CRC. Know nothing about the C1s but it appears to be exceptionally good value.
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    Unless your rotors are hideously scarred or otherwise damaged, there's no need to replace them (unless you want to), as they're completely cross compatible. The Formulas are cheap, but they will require more attention to keep them operating at their best. Shimano have made a name for themselves in brake reliability with the current series' and the SLXs are fit and forget. If you buy them without rotors, JBA's link is cracking value.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have three bikes still on 2006 Shimano XT brakes and my sons are 2004.....we have had one calliper fail due to a leaky seal. That is an indication of why Shimano are popular.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    shimano deore m615 nothing to go wrong with shimanos, On the other hand plenty of issues around with formulas from basic to the best model, inconsistent braking mostly so better to avoid them
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • That Merlin link certainly is good value. My rotors are in good condition, of that I'm sure. However, I thought they might need to be changed to suit the calliper and pads, to make sure the breaking surface on the rotor matched the pad size. Or is this reasonably uniform and standard?
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    That Merlin link certainly is good value. My rotors are in good condition, of that I'm sure. However, I thought they might need to be changed to suit the calliper and pads, to make sure the breaking surface on the rotor matched the pad size. Or is this reasonably uniform and standard?

it is pretty much standard across the range of brakes makers to use either 160,180 and 203mm rotors.

its more important to make sure you have the correct size adapters which you should have for the size rotors you already have on the bike.
  • OK, thanks again.

I checked again and I have a 180/160 set up and the calipers are both bolted to the forks and frame respectively, with no adapters that I can see. Should be an easy swap than!
  • The Rookie
    Are you sure? They will need adaptors unless you have rear PM mounts (rare on a bike that would have had Julies!) and non standard front mounts (even rarer), more likely it comes with the required adaptors!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • No, I'm not sure at all now. I thought I was. Both calipers are bolted directly to the frame and forks, no adaptors. What next and how do I know if I need adaptors?
  • The Rookie
    Sorry, thought you were talking about the new brakes....

You existing brakes are almost certainly IS mount (holes go across the frame parallel to the axle), the Shimano will be PM mount and need adaptor so to fit frame and forks (perfectly normal).
  • Another shout for Shimano, I have SLX and the Wife has Deore 615's which ive been really impressed with considering the price these sell for, easy to maintain too!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    No, I'm not sure at all now. I thought I was. Both calipers are bolted directly to the frame and forks, no adaptors. What next and how do I know if I need adaptors?

Can you post a couple of photos to help people better advise you?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • No, I'm not sure at all now. I thought I was. Both calipers are bolted directly to the frame and forks, no adaptors. What next and how do I know if I need adaptors?

Can you post a couple of photos to help people better advise you?

Sure can. I'll not be able to do that till Saturday though as I'm away with work. However, have I enough posts to be able to post photos and can I post photos from Google Drive or Dropbox, both of which I use?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Super. Thanks very much. That's fantastically helpful. I need to check my existing brakes again and select adaptors as required.