Riding on dodgy headset bearings

cgfw201
cgfw201 Posts: 680
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Noticed a bit of a creak when turning the bars recently, which i'm assuming is my bearings in the headset.

I took it apart yesterday and had a look. However have no idea what I'm actually looking at/for so put a load of grease in and put it back together.

Anyway, taking it to the local shop tomorrow pm to sort out, but want to go out for a ride in the morning.

I've put it all back together and it all works ok, just makes the small sound when turning the bars.

I'm not going to die am I?

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Put the front brake on and push the bike forwards and back.If there is no play in the headset you will be OK. If there is it depends on the type of headset. In extreme circumstances the frame might die but you will not.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Of course you are, we all are :P

No seriously, should be OK if you put it back together correctly. Just to be sure, clamp the front wheel between your legs and wiggle the bars from side to side, if there is no excessive clonking you should be good to go. Probably a pitted bearing somewhere, not too expensive to change.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • cgfw201
    Of course you are, we all are :P

No seriously, should be OK if you put it back together correctly. Just to be sure, clamp the front wheel between your legs and wiggle the bars from side to side, if there is no excessive clonking you should be good to go. Probably a pitted bearing somewhere, not too expensive to change.

Yeah functionally its all fine, it's just a noise which will be fixed over the weekend. Just been looking forward to going out in the hills (in the rain) all week!
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,165
    just be sure the creak is only the headset!

i.e. rather than a crack in the fork/steerer/stem/bars, any of which could result in a very nasty accident

holding the bike off the ground so there's no load, turn the bars and feel/listen for roughness/noises, that's less likely to be due to structural issues

if it only happens under load, it could still be only the headset, but the chance it's something else goes up
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cgfw201
    I didn't die.

And I now have shiny new bearings and no creaking headset.