Running both Campagnolo 12-30 and 13-29 cassettes

roberpesca
roberpesca Posts: 3
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Hi

I have a Veloce 10s groupset in my bike using a ratio of 13-29.

I have now bought a new turbo trainer with direct drive that has a "universal" freehub incorporated, but it does not take a Veloce cassette (because it has 8 cutouts - for Campagnolo, it only takes cassettes with 4 cutouts in the inside). I have found a Centaur 10s cassette, but the ratio is 12-30.

Question is: would I be able to use both cassettes with the same chain? The idea is that I want to be able to put the bike to the turbo trainer (with a 12-30 ratio) to ride indoors and them back to the wheel (with a 13-29 ratio) for outside riding without fussing around with the chain and/or the rear mech.

I would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks

Comments

• What matters for chain length is the size of the biggest sprocket. It often recommend you get a longer chain if going bigger, but in the case of 1T difference I can't see that at all being an issue unless your chain is already as short as it possibly can be.

But; it won't be the cassette which causes the issue, but it's quite possible the spacing on your Tacx Neo might be ever so slightly different to your outdoor wheel.

It shouldn't be but I know that my turbo wheel spacing is very slightly different to my outdoor wheel so when riding on the turbo it can skip a bit in some gears.
  • What matters for chain length is the size of the biggest sprocket. It often recommend you get a longer chain if going bigger, but in the case of 1T difference I can't see that at all being an issue unless your chain is already as short as it possibly can be.

But; it won't be the cassette which causes the issue, but it's quite possible the spacing on your Tacx Neo might be ever so slightly different to your outdoor wheel.

It shouldn't be but I know that my turbo wheel spacing is very slightly different to my outdoor wheel so when riding on the turbo it can skip a bit in some gears.

Great! Thank you for your response, that is very helpful.