Garmin 800 help

paulwood
paulwood Posts: 231
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Just trying to connect my Garmin to the PC and instead of showing up as normal as a hard drive the Garmin keeps trying to switch on as though I have pressed the power button. From here there is no way to get the PC to recognise it.

It did get wet this morning so I'm hoping it will sort itself if it dries out but would welcome any other ideas.

Comments

• dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    You could try a different usb cable, if that does not work try reinstalling the drivers. Try cleaning the usb contacts with Isopropyl alcohol and place in the airing cupboard. Common problem with 500/800 with water ingress. None of that works you might have to RMA it.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +1 - stick it in the airing cupboard with the rubber covers open for 24 hours. Put your USB cable in there too for good measure.
  • paulwood
    Thanks for the suggestions. it's sitting on the shelf above the radiator now, will try it in the morning.

Seems if I send it back to Garmin I end up with a recon unit for £80 or so. Not ideal but I would miss it
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Have you got any sachets of silica gel around ? You know, the funny little white, porous papery bags containing desiccated, gritty powder that often come in the box with electrical goods to absorb unwanted moisture. If so, stick the recalcitrant Garmin in a sealed polythene bag with said gel and leave overnight, maybe longer .

Holding open the USB bung and blowing a hair dryer in the USB port has been know to help to. Not too hot or held too close to the device though,
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Do check the cable too - there are some power-only cables out there.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • paulwood
    been using the same cable for ages but, yes will try a different one just in case.

thanks
  • paulwood
    drying it out gently overnight seems to have worked. I have noticed that the little USB flap was getting a little worn and loose. More care needed closing it perhaps.

Seems the flap is just held on by a couple of screws, might try and get a replacement
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    If it's going to be a wet ride I cover the USB port area with a little insulation tape before each ride. I've never had an issue since doing this
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Mine does this occasionally - it's a poor connection at the Garmin end.

Unplug the USB from the PC, then at the Garmin end slide the mini-USB into and out of the Garmin a few times, gently, and being careful not to do any damage. Then give it another go. That always cures this exact problem on mine.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Apparently the USB port is waterproofed, so you dont need to worry about water getting in there - provided you dont plug it in and put a current through there while its in that state - if you do then the electrical pulses wont necessarily go to the right pins and it all messes up. As you have found, dry it out and all will be well, provided current doesnt go somewhere it really shouldnt while wet and cause damage (anecdotal evidence from lots of webfolk seems to suggest thats unlikely with the garmin though).
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    +1 for trying a different cable. Also trying a different usb port on the PC sometimes solves these things
  • paulwood
    I think my problem was certainly to do with moisture. Happened after a very wet ride when I don't think I ad the flap closed quite as tightly as it could be.

I also got an error message saying XM receiver is not supported which seems to be another symptom. More care in future.

I hope everyone else sorts out their problems. If only someone would make a better alternative to Garmin but the is a whole other issue :-)
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If only someone would make a better alternative to Garmin

I think you are going the Garmin a disservice here - you got water in the port and the designed waterproofing worked and stopped anything getting inside and ruining the unit. I think you should be singing Garmin's praises right now, not complaining about them!

Although there are other, non-related reasons why your sentiments might be applicable... But then if you had a unit that was better in other ways but not as well weather-proofed, you would be paying out for a new one right now, so you should be pretty pleased with what you have.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If mine's had a good soaking I always dry it out thoroughly before plugging it in to anything. USB sockets not designed with water in mind...
  • paulwood
    Contacted Garmin who have sent me a replacement flap for free. Can't moan about that for service