Cadence and HRM sensors for Garmin 810

apprent1ce
apprent1ce Posts: 58
edited January 2016 in Road beginners
I want to add cadence and hrm to my 810 and wondered if anyone has any specific advice on this?

I have looked at the Garmin Premium HRM and the Spreed and Cadence Sensor (£32.99 and £44.99 on wiggle) and wondered is this the way to go?

Many thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• There's a lot of outfits still flogging the old style straps which pack up after a few months. I know I've had them. The new straps seem to be better, I've had no problems so far. The old straps have a solid grey ish band along the front either side of the sender, while the new ones have black diagonal stripes on the grey bands.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Pop down to the nearest Decathlon (or go on the website) and pick up their Ant + HR band for a lot less (HR band currently £13.99).

The Bontrager Speed/Cadence package was always the go-to offering if you didn't want to lash out the money for the Garmin but I'm not sure it's still available.

Both of those are excellent products that pair instantly with the Garmin, perform faultlessly in tandem with it and are significantly better value.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    +1 for Decathlon & Bontrager, much cheaper and I've had no problems with either in 2+ years.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Pop down to the nearest Decathlon (or go on the website) and pick up their Ant + HR band for a lot less (HR band currently £13.99).

The Bontrager Speed/Cadence package was always the go-to offering if you didn't want to lash out the money for the Garmin but I'm not sure it's still available.

Both of those are excellent products that pair instantly with the Garmin, perform faultlessly in tandem with it and are significantly better value.
    After my second Garmin chest strap failure (first one was replaced under warranty), I'm on the lookout for a new strap, so this is helpful. I looked on the Decathlon website, though, and couldn't find it. I couldn't find it under heart rate monitor and when I searched for heart rate strap, I just get these three. I'm sure I'm being dopey, but can you give me a link, or the details to search on?
  • topcattim

After my second Garmin chest strap failure (first one was replaced under warranty), I'm on the lookout for a new strap, so this is helpful. I looked on the Decathlon website, though, and couldn't find it. I couldn't find it under heart rate monitor and when I searched for heart rate strap, I just get these three. I'm sure I'm being dopey, but can you give me a link, or the details to search on?
    Just found this. Does anyone know if that will clip into and talk to the detachable Garmin unit?
  • Just found this. Does anyone know if that will clip into and talk to the detachable Garmin unit?
    It will.
  • topcattim
    Just found this. Does anyone know if that will clip into and talk to the detachable Garmin unit?
    It will.
    Marvellous, thanks. I feel a visit to Decathlon coming on.
  • That is the strap only I think. You still need to buy the sensor.

I have used the same Garmin strap and sensor for nearly three years and over 1800 hours of use. It has always operated flawlessly. I wonder when the battery will run out of power. Perhaps it is radioactive?
  • topcattim
    That is the strap only I think. You still need to buy the sensor.

I have used the same Garmin strap and sensor for nearly three years and over 1800 hours of use. It has always operated flawlessly. I wonder when the battery will run out of power. Perhaps it is radioactive?
    Thanks. Yes, I've got the sensor, and hope it is the old Garmin strap which has broken (the contact pads at the back are peeling away).
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I don't know about the HRM as I don't use one but I would definitely give a big shout for the Garmin Cadence Sensor (the latest version that fits on the crank arm).That said, despite mine being new out of the box, I had to fit a new battery before it would stop crashing my Edge 500 shortly into every ride. Since then it's been faultless (as has the 500) and I would therefore recommend a new battery before you even start using it (they only cost a couple of quid for 10 on eBay!).
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Many thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    There's a lot of outfits still flogging the old style straps which pack up after a few months. I know I've had them. The new straps seem to be better, I've had no problems so far. The old straps have a solid grey ish band along the front either side of the sender, while the new ones have black diagonal stripes on the grey bands.

Really? Mine is still going strong from 2009 when it came with my original 705 and works perfectly with my 810.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • There's the original "hard" strap (HRM-1) - which appears to be virtually bombproof. The HRM is integral to the large plastic part of the strap. No press studs.

Then there is the first soft strap variant (black strap, press studs) - the fabric part is not particularly durable. The HRM part (HRM-2/HRM-2SS) is robust though.

Then there's the premium (aka HRM-3) - which has the multifabric strap & press studs. The fabric part of this one is much more reliable than the black strap - but the replacement strap is only £10 less than buying the whole set (ie. HRM-3 active part plus strap).

Then the original HRM-Run - to all intents the same as the HRM-3 but with the addition of vertical oscillation support for runners (whatever they are :)) - easily distinguished because there's a runner graphic on it.

Then there are the new HRM-Run & HRM-Tri - both of which appear to have non-replaceable straps.

Now - if you your strap goes screwy and you have one of the removable monitors (with press studs) - the "gold" standard is to use the Polar Softstrap (like here) but the Decathlon one will work too.

At the end of the day though the fabric parts are consumable - they're regularly bathed in sweat, you can't wash them in a sufficiently aggressive wash programme to properly clean them of the attacking agents within the sweat in the band without the whole band disintegrating - the Polar one is just over a tenner - the Premium Garmin one lasted me a bit over 12 months before it failed. The Polar one is already well into year 2.