Rollers

y2keable
y2keable Posts: 349
edited January 2016 in MTB general
Wasn't sure where to post this, so "general" it is...

I'm thinking of buying some rollers, I know they're something roadies use but I'm trying to lose a bit of weight, riding's my favourite way to do it and the weather isn't great this time of year to ride every night. Also, there isn't any interesting places I can ride once I push my bike out the door, so may as well use a trainer of some sort.

My question is; are they suitable for mtb's? I'm not sure if they're only designed for the wheel span/geometry of a road bike with 700c wheels or if I'm ok to use my 650b stumpy.

Cheers
<hr noshade size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><font color="black">Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, stay down. </font id="black"><font color="red"> Embrase pain.</font id="red"></b></font id="Book Antiqua">
<hr noshade size="1">
[:D] Paying close attention to my mental hygeine. [:D]

Comments

• JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    I have used rollers with my Anthem, although admittedly using a spare set of wheels with slicks. You adjust the distance between the front and rear roller to compensate for different bike lengths.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rollers don't give much of a workout - very little resistance, they are only really useful for warming up, you need a turbo for excercise.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • y2keable
    Rollers don't give much of a workout - very little resistance,

Some are magnetically resistive ;)
    <hr noshade size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><font color="black">Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, stay down. </font id="black"><font color="red"> Embrase pain.</font id="red"></b></font id="Book Antiqua">

<hr noshade size="1">
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    Do different brands of rollers offer more resistance? I borrowed a set of Tacx from a mate and there was more than enough resistance to have me soaked in sweat. Probably couldn't do much more than half an hour at that pace.
  • y2keable
    I was thinking of getting that one, CRC have it on sale. Looks good.

<hr noshade size="1">
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Get something you can adjust the resistance on ideally and then they're great. Can use them from easy recovery stuff right through to threshold work. Much more engaging than a turbo and don't take long to get used to at all.

Use a pair of old/spare slick tyres.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Do different brands of rollers offer more resistance? I borrowed a set of Tacx from a mate and there was more than enough resistance to have me soaked in sweat. Probably couldn't do much more than half an hour at that pace.

Yes they do. Also depends on tyres, I've got Tacx Antares which are lacking in resistence with fast tyres so purely for warmup but also use a set of Elite Emotion which have tons of resistence, 3 settings and I've not needed to go beyond the easiest yet! The Emotions are admittedly quite pricey but I believe the Arion mag are pretty much the same but without the floating frame at a more reasonable price...
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I prefer turbos for a static workout rollers are good but if you decide you want to vary the resistance unless you have a decent remote your stuffed. Not only that you only need to change one tyre or in most of our cases use a second wheel with a trainer tyre on it.