Which water proof Jacket?

bluedog99
bluedog99 Posts: 183
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I currently have a Rapha wind jacket, which is also fine if caught in a shower. I am now looking for a waterproof and wind proof jacket for colder wetter conditions. I have looked at some of the Rapha stuff, but I am also looking at which other brands would do the job. I f I can save some money, then that is a bonus.
Cheers.
Rourke 853 Team Pro Custom.

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I've heard good things about the Gore Bike wear goretex jackets.

If you're unfamiliar with Gore range, oxygen is slimmest and raciest fit, Power is next and then element is most relaxed fit.
  • bluedog99
    Thanks for that mate . I will check them out.
    Cheers.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,983

If you're unfamiliar with Gore range, oxygen is slimmest and raciest fit, Power is next and then element is most relaxed fit.
    The Gore is boil in the bag if you put any effort in. The Rapha rain jacket is not much better. I have both.
    There are plenty of threads on the subject with alternatives that I would consider if I was buying now.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123

The Gore is boil in the bag if you put any effort in. The Rapha rain jacket is not much better. I have both.
    There are plenty of threads on the subject with alternatives that I would consider if I was buying now.

I have a GoreTex Paclite Path jacket which is I think aimed at MTB riders. Maybe it's the slightly roomier cut, the fact I don't go very fast, or possibly because I don't run too hot, but I find it breathes impressively well. Only ever see condensation at the taped seams or where I've had something in one of the pockets.
    Most of the time though I prefer the windstopper softshell (also Gore, Phantom) because it's warmer and more versatile with it's zip-off sleeves.
  • The Madison Apex Race was as good as any I'd used.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523

I think anything with a waterproof / hard shell ends up being compromised on breathability when you're generating a lot of heat. But, within the spectrum of available kit, I've heard that these are better than many others.

I've got a couple of light, packable ones (other brands) and I only wear them when it's rainy and cold - you get just as wet with it on as with it off, but at least with it on it's warm wet rather than cold wet.
  • pblakeney
    The Madison Apex Race was as good as any I'd used.
    Strange given your other postings/reviews/blog.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • bluedog99
    Thanks once again for the replies, I will try a few searches on the forum.
    Cheers.
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    I got an older version of the gore a few years back and would buy another if it needed replacing. http://www.bowlandoutdoors.com/acatalog/gore-bike-wear-oxygen-gt-as-jacket-black.html
  • The Madison Apex Race was as good as any I'd used.

Is it? I 'm taking him to mean a traditional rain type jacket rather than something like the Mossa. Not everyone wants to have a racewear piece.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    I've got a Gore Oxygen Gore-Tex Paclite shell like has been recommended. Picked it up for an absolutely ridiculous price a couple of years ago.
    Doesn't get a huge amount of use though; I used it this morning for the first time in ages.
    It has far and away the best waterproofing of any jacket I have but I find it kind of a square peg in a round hole in terms of the riding I do.
    My commute takes a max of 40 minutes which means most softshell jackets will hold out. For longer weekend rides, I tend to want to go faster and if you're blasting along then the breathability just doesn't compare to a windproof. You'll want to be able to take off and stash in a Jersey pocket when it isn't raining. You can do it with the Paclite - just - but its a squeeze. Then there is a fairly big temperature difference between on and off that you'll want something like a Gilet to plug the gap on. I tend to want to take both which means very full pockets once it properly warms up.
    Now I've got an Alpha jersey, I tend not to bother as its kind of got the Gilet built in, plus it copes with inclement weather very well.
    But if you really need waterproofing - it was absolutely chucking it down this morning and it kept me bone dry, not a hint of leakage at all.
  • pblakeney
    The Madison Apex Race was as good as any I'd used.

Is it? I 'm taking him to mean a traditional rain type jacket rather than something like the Mossa. Not everyone wants to have a racewear piece.
    Fair point. I would rather have something more breathable having tried the traditional jackets.
    Maybe everyone has to go through the same learning curve to learn the lesson. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • The Berghaus active fit jackets work well on a bike if you get a snug fit
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    I still think there is a time and a place for a traditional rain jacket over the more modern Gabba "wet but warm" style.

And that time and place is commuting. I for one, don't like hammering it along in crap visibility through massive great big puddles that I can't see the bottom of, combined with turning up red faced and out of breath at the office. So I tend to cut the pace and the breathability becomes less important. I've only got a Gabba as part of the Thermosuit but find it doesn't keep me warm unless you're working moderately hard, which I just don't do commuting in crap weather.

For every other form of riding, agree with what you say 100%!
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    I got an older version of the gore a few years back and would buy another if it needed replacing. http://www.bowlandoutdoors.com/acatalog/gore-bike-wear-oxygen-gt-as-jacket-black.html

Got the fluro version of this. Great jacket - totally waterproof and perfect if you absolutely have to go out when it's bucketing down....I don't use it much but I can see it getting much more use on the commute
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    Anyone got views on rapha race capes? 3 in my club and say they are best waterproof ever, but they are all rapha obsessed so I take it with.a pinch of salt. I'm looking at getting a lightweight shell after getting wet and cold last Sunday in My alpha jacket. I have a pearl Izumi pro aero wxb waterproof but it gets quite damp inside, like most (all?) shells. Can't see how the rapha can be that much better. One guy stated he's never got damp from condensation with the rapha even when riding hard. Sounds too good to be true...
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Heehee, i wonder why no one is recommending Castelli Tempesta. Just buy that.
  • richiegwy
    richiegwy Posts: 171
    I was considering the castelli muir but then looked at the DHB ASV rain jacket on wiggle. It claims to be e-vent material and having worn it a few times now it keeps the rain out very well and actually breathes quite well also. I haven't had any trouble with sweaty arms or the like. Its also a hell of a lot cheaper

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-asv-event-waterproof-jacket/
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I was once again amazed by my GoreTex Paclite jacket on Saturday evening. By the time I'd got kitted out it was proper chucking it down, so I thought sod it, and went out anyway. Bibtights rapidly soaked, feet ditto despite neoprene overshoes. Torso still bone dry after an hour.

Also impressed with my new Castelli cap worn under my helmet; kept my head warm and bone dry and the peak kept the rain off my glasses.

And the first proper run out with my new B&M Ixon IQ Premium front light; very pleased with that too. Love the fact it illuminates the full width of the road. Turning right with the old light used to be a bit of a lottery because I couldn't see exactly where a junction started, this is so much better.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Montane Velo is what I use as a packable 'emergency' waterproof. Although generally I wear softshell stuff in winter.
  • Anyone got views on rapha race capes? 3 in my club and say they are best waterproof ever, but they are all rapha obsessed so I take it with.a pinch of salt. I'm looking at getting a lightweight shell after getting wet and cold last Sunday in My alpha jacket. I have a pearl Izumi pro aero wxb waterproof but it gets quite damp inside, like most (all?) shells. Can't see how the rapha can be that much better. One guy stated he's never got damp from condensation with the rapha even when riding hard. Sounds too good to be true...

I bought a Race Cape in spring 2014 and it’s absolutely fantastic. It’s not a 4 season jacket – I prefer to just get wet in the summer – but for UK spring, autumn and winter it’s great. I rode the Etape Caledonia in pi$$ing rain at full gas with the front zipped up to the neck and the long cuff zips fastened down and had a bone dry torso and arms when I finished. Just like the Pro Team Jacket it’s another superb heat regulating bit of kit from Rapha.
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862

Got the fluro version of this. Great jacket - totally waterproof and perfect if you absolutely have to go out when it's bucketing down....I don't use it much but I can see it getting much more use on the commute

I've got the GT AS as pictured though I paid just over £100, that looks a bit pricey! It's very good indeed and noticeably more breathable than the paclite version I had before. On a tempo or harder ride you're still going to get a bit sweaty inside, but it's good for a proper waterproof. It copes with moderate efforts no problem at all - bone dry. It's not just the material - the fit is great for me as it's quite tight fitting and I hate baggy, flappy waterproofs that act as air brakes. I wouldn't really take it in a pocket as it's just slightly too bulky (though you could probably just about squeeze it in). I have a Castelli Sottile which I prefer for those might/might not days.
  • mlgt
    mlgt Posts: 366
    I normally would ride in a gabba until last year when a family member kindly visiting the rapha outlet store and picked me up a hardshell for the colder months.

Granted the reviews about a fully waterproof jacket brings into the equation of being boiled to death. I have found it is very warm and I have worn the hardshell up to 11c.

The rationale behind why I agreed to this purchase was simply due to a puncture on a ride, I was left shivering as it was a windy and wet day. Fast forward today. The weather was wet (and not so windy) and I suffered a puncture at regents park at 7am. I was comfortable in the jacket.

I tend to wear the HS with a summer base layer, on the days were it was almost 1-2c with a heavy wind I would wear a merino baselayer.

I cannot comment on a softshell or other jackets as said above the gabba was my all weather gear in the autumn/winter months. Given it was a shortsleeve it also meant I had to pair with armwarmers.

Given that I commute daily and my journey is around 20-25 miles each day (if I do a loop of RP each way) and I ride on weekends I can give the HS a good rating. The gabba is something I will wear until it drops below double digits and not heavy downpours.

Hope this helps a touch.
    N2 - SW1

Canyon Endurace 9.0
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Just a quick question about Gabba's. My wife's Gabba succumbed to the rain on its first outing. Basically it pissed down for 3 hours. Some of my riding mates swear they stayed bone dry after the ride. Are they telling fibs?
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    If they kept riding after rain stopped, it would eventually dry out.
  • Just a quick question about Gabba's. My wife's Gabba succumbed to the rain on its first outing. Basically it pissed down for 3 hours. Some of my riding mates swear they stayed bone dry after the ride. Are they telling fibs?

It's not waterproof and doesn't claim to be - it's 'thing' is that it acts like a wetsuit - you get wet BUT ARE WARM - it is water resistant having said that but it promotes breathability over waterproofness. You get wet from rain rather than sweat in other words
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    This is what i thought but was confused when i kept being told me how waterproof they are. So basically i was right. They were telling fibs :lol:
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc