Tightening head set bolt?

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, refitting my forks today, is there a specific torque rating for the central headset bolt or is it just a case of taking up the slack do there is no play and checking the bars spin without resistance after???

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No and yes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • W1368
    W1368 Posts: 9
    Grinding feel while steering - too tight

Knocking felt in headset with front wheel at 90 degree angle - too loose
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you have used new parts (or old parts put together in a new way) it is worth tightening the bolt until the steering goes a little bit tight and rotating the bars back and forth a few times, sometimes things settle into place changing the preload slightly, then set the bolt so there is no play and he bars spin freely.

Never had a grinding feel, just a tight feeling (what in there would be grinding that should be in there?)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    If you have used new parts (or old parts put together in a new way) it is worth tightening the bolt until the steering goes a little bit tight and rotating the bars back and forth a few times, sometimes things settle into place changing the preload slightly, then set the bolt so there is no play and he bars spin freely.

Never had a grinding feel, just a tight feeling (what in there would be grinding that should be in there?)

I've removed my forks for a service, just refitting, must say far easier than the old style headsets!