Small frame, is there a way to compensate from it?

Noobstarr
Noobstarr Posts: 12
edited March 2016 in Road beginners
My measurements:
Height: 5'10"
Inseam: 31"
Arm length: 30"

My bike's measurements:
Top tube: 54cm
Seat tube: 46cm
Stem: 80mm

Is there any way to make it compatible for me? Except by changing the frame. Got some financial issues. Hehe!
Good day and thank you for those who will reply. :)

Comments

• Top tube length is about right for your height.

Seat tube seems very short for that top tube. What make & size of frame is it?

80mm stem is short - you can easily go to 130mm.

Probably with a new stem and maybe a longer and/or setback seatpost, about £20 each, you could get it to fit.
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    Plenty of 130mm stems on eBay, you should be able to buy one fairly cheaply.
  • Top tube length is about right for your height.

Seat tube seems very short for that top tube. What make & size of frame is it?

80mm stem is short - you can easily go to 130mm.

Probably with a new stem and maybe a longer and/or setback seatpost, about £20 each, you could get it to fit.
    It's a Trinx R300 and its frame size is 18".
  • As said the 80mm stem is quite short. You can also get stems with a bit of rise on them if you want to be more upright. Use this to work out what measurement and angle is best http://alex.phred.org/stemchart/
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Guessing it's probably a compact frame, hence the short seat tube (Would make it generally normal for a TT of that length).

My guess (Without knowing how flexible you are, or how you're proportioned (oooerrr missus)) is that it may well be too small, but can possibly be made to fit, with a longer stem.

I'm 5'7" and all my bikes have 54cm top tubes.
  • MF99
    MF99 Posts: 1
    The width of the handlebars may also be too small if the stem is short so may be worth checking and is easy to do with a tape measure (and cheap to replace with basic alloy ones)

I am on a 50cm bike with an 80mm stem and 40cm bars (so hopefully yours are 42/44cm width!)
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    I'm 5' 8" and my bikes all have a 54 cm top tube (or equivalent horizontal top tube) and a 11cm stem.
    At 5' 10" it sound a bit small but only a little.
    As suggested try a 13 cm stem which you can position either flat or sticking up. How it feels may depend on what you have been riding before. Many new cyclists buy bikes that are too big and get used to them. If they then get one the right size for a while it feels really weird.

As to handle bar width this is a personal thing I would guess that the bike with a 54 cm top-tube would have 42 cm bars. There use to be a theory that they should be the width of your shoulders. Some pro riders are now riding with very narrow bars. I think Andre Griepel rides with 38 cm bars and he's not exactly waif-like, but this is an extreme so he can try and put 1800 W through the rear wheel in a sprint.
  • Would need pics with you on it :) hard to say
  • It can often be difficult to size, because I need quite a short reach but a smaller frame would put the front end too low, so I end up with a bigger frame and a short stem.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I'm 5' 8" and my bikes all have a 54 cm top tube (or equivalent horizontal top tube) and a 11cm stem.
    At 5' 10" it sound a bit small but only a little.
    As suggested try a 13 cm stem which you can position either flat or sticking up. How it feels may depend on what you have been riding before. Many new cyclists buy bikes that are too big and get used to them. If they then get one the right size for a while it feels really weird.

As to handle bar width this is a personal thing I would guess that the bike with a 54 cm top-tube would have 42 cm bars. There use to be a theory that they should be the width of your shoulders. Some pro riders are now riding with very narrow bars. I think Andre Griepel rides with 38 cm bars and he's not exactly waif-like, but this is an extreme so he can try and put 1800 W through the rear wheel in a sprint.

I'm 5'9" and ride a 54 with an 11cm stem, so OP should be fine with say a 12 or 13 stem. Still plenty stiff; Sagan uses a 13 and he pulls wheelies! :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I am at the same height as you with a 54cm frame(albeit my longer legs/inseam & arms) I ran 11cm stems and a 5mm set back post, I do have a cheeky 13cm stem lurking in the cupboard for the days I want to be more Cancellara wannabe.

But yes a longer stem and a 20/25mm setback post should sort you out merely.
  • Magem
    Magem Posts: 29
    what others have said, longer stem, longer seatpost, bit of lay back. SHould be good
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    54cm is fine...I ride them at 510...change stem to 110-120 though.