Rapha Oversocks - cutting tips!

kfinlay
kfinlay Posts: 763
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Bought a pair of oversocks in the Rapha sale to go with other kit I have and to help protect new white shoes I got at crimbo.
I never expected to have to cut holes in the socks for the cleats and heal as the ones I've seen before (such as Prendas) all have holes in them already with flat stitching to stop any fraying.

Does anyone who has Rapha oversocks have any tips on cutting them and can let me know if they will fray?

TIA 8)
Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum

Comments

• domc21
    domc21 Posts: 86
    use something very sharp, i used a leatherman. (watch your finger) start in the centre and work out, i only cut what is needed. I've never cut for the heal either.
  • kfinlay
    use something very sharp, i used a leatherman. (watch your finger) start in the centre and work out, i only cut what is needed. I've never cut for the heal either.

cheers DomC, do you just cut along the line? and do they fray?
    Kev

• domc21
    domc21 Posts: 86
    yep just cut along the line, not all the way though. Keep putting the sock on over the shoes so you make the hole as small as possible.

Mine didn't fray.
  • kfinlay
    yep just cut along the line, not all the way though. Keep putting the sock on over the shoes so you make the hole as small as possible.

Mine didn't fray.

that's a great help, thanks! 8)
    Kev

• Mart74
    Mart74 Posts: 111
    I put the socks on the shoes (not on my feet) before cutting the holes.

Put them on, get the lined up nicely, mark the line at either end of the cut, take of and cut.

I used a scalpel blade to make the first little hole then some very sharp scissors to make the cut.

I agree, it does seem weird cutting something brand new but is easy enough to do. Mine haven't fraid at all in 2-3 month regular use.

Good luck
  • kfinlay
    I put the socks on the shoes (not on my feet) before cutting the holes.

Put them on, get the lined up nicely, mark the line at either end of the cut, take of and cut.

I used a scalpel blade to make the first little hole then some very sharp scissors to make the cut.

I agree, it does seem weird cutting something brand new but is easy enough to do. Mine haven't fraid at all in 2-3 month regular use.

Good luck

Thank Mart, have a scalpel I can use and sharp scissors, just waiting on another pair of shoes arriving as the ones I bought don't fit well when riding, even though they felt good in the shop. Nothing's ever straight forward :(
    Kev