SPD clipping issues

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited January 2016 in Commuting chat
I've a slightly odd issue. New S-Works MTB shoes fitted with BOARDMAN SPD cleats (they were half the price of Shimano cleat in Halfords on Sunday when I forgot one of the several sets I have kicking around in Scotland)

Now, I was riding the bike often over Xmas with my old Sidi shoes (and Shimano cleats) with no issues - so I'm confident the pedals are OK.

But I'm finding clipping in with the new shoes/cleats frustratingly difficult.

Any ideas?
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    New bike?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • meanredspider
    New bike?

Normally I'd agree. But I've only just bought this one...

Mind you - I nearly caused my poor wife a heart attack. After ordering my birthday present, Evans sent her a £5 off when you spend £40 voucher which she sent on to me. I told her this evening that I'd been forced to buy a £4500 bike in order to use it.....

... There was a very long silence

She really wasn't sure if I was being serious :lol:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • itboffin
    Sounds like a perfectly reasonable justification to me
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Sometimes the spd style cleats aren't actually compatible. I know there are issues with Ritchey pedals, maybe the boardman cleats aren't fully compatible. Anyway, new bike.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • meanredspider
    They say that they're compatible on the pack and they looked identical to the Shimano beside them - but they are a total bu99er to clip in - I need to really stamp on them. The Boy is coming back down to Cambridge this weekend - I'll see if he can find one of my spare set else I'll just buy some Shimano ones. And a bike
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    spends ridiculous money on a bike with a good groupset
    spends ridiculous money on a new groupset for above bike before even riding said bike
    spends ridiculous money on shoes
    wont spend normal money on cleats...
  • meanredspider
    spends ridiculous money on a bike with a good groupset
    spends ridiculous money on a new groupset for above bike before even riding said bike
    spends ridiculous money on shoes
    wont spend normal money on cleats...

Bought bike at good discount
    Bought Di2 conversion kit at good discount
    Bought shoes at very good discount
    Bought cleats at full price

£16 for a pair of SPD cleats is silly. Still not sure it's the cleats either.

It's hardly the end of the world either.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Buy a pair of M520's off Amazon for £16, get genuine Shimano SPD cleats in the pack, sell the pedals on.....cost of cleats circa £5.

Have you tried backing off the tension a smidgen, I've found brand new cleats like a little less tension until the corners have rounded off (imperceptible to the eye), also check for high spots or moulding flash (and attack with a file).

Unless you mean SPD-SL?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • meanredspider
    Yes - I'm not short of cleats just don't have some here down south. I'll loosen off the pedals to see if that helps and lube them a bit too.

They are SPD. I've been using SPD-SL until Xmas when I started riding off-road. But I'm doing more walking to and from the bike on this commute so decided to stick to SPD. I just forgot to raid my parts cupboard before travelling back down.
  • meanredspider
    That's made it acceptable if still a little clunky. I expect, as you say, they'll settle down with time.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    I've got a few sets of spare cleats, PM me your address and I'll chuck a set in the post tomorrow.
  • meanredspider
    I've got a few sets of spare cleats, PM me your address and I'll chuck a set in the post tomorrow.

Thanks V68, but I'll get the boy to bring some of mine down on Saturday. I'm picking him up from Gatwick and cleats won't overload him.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300

Thanks V68, but I'll get the boy to bring some of mine down on Saturday. I'm picking him up from Gatwick and cleats won't overload him.
    OK, let me know if he forgets.
  • meanredspider

OK, let me know if he forgets.

Thanks - I will - he'll be needing someone to give him a lift to Cambridge if he does :wink::D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That's made it acceptable if still a little clunky. I expect, as you say, they'll settle down with time.
    I find it takes me about 2-3 weeks of use (probably 10 clip events a day) for them to loose the slightly snatchy or clunky feel of new cleats.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • meanredspider
    Cool - thanks. It's been many years since I've needed to break in a new set of SPD cleats - yesterday was nigh-on impossible to get my left foot clipped in. Unclipping was smooth though. Backing off the tension and lubing the pedal (which it didn't look like it needed to be fair) has definitely helped. Thanks for the suggestions and help.
  • meanredspider
    The Boy came good and my "ridiculous money" shoes now have Shimano cleats on them so I hope at one person is happy :wink:

There are only tiny differences between the Boardman cleats and the Shimano. And that's just some subtle chamfers (that the Boardman have and Shimano don't) - other than that, they are identical in shape and size.

Anyhow, for my next ice-free day, I'll pull on my "ridiculous money" shoes, jump on my "ridiculous money", road.cc "Road Bike of the Year", bike, and see if my original Shimano cleats clip into my original Shimano pedals any better than the Boardman ones....
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I'm sure spasy wasn't poking fun at the idea of spending ridiculous money. Especially when you look at his stable.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • meanredspider
    Well, the real SPDs are clipping better - I still find it bizarre how little difference there is between these and the Boardman ones but how very differently they perform.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    please note when looking at my stable, the CAAD9 picture is very out of date, and is actually running di2 now.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Well, the real SPDs are clipping better - I still find it bizarre how little difference there is between these and the Boardman ones but how very differently they perform.

I stopped using crank bros because the smallest bang to the cleat massively changed the clip in/out. I find the proper shimano (steel not brass) retain their shape longer and seem to suffer less from the little dings that make a big change to clip in/out. If a little ding can make a difference then a different manufacturing process/tolerances will almost certainly make a difference

BTW - Merlin have the m520s (including new cleats) at under 15 quid (14.95 plus you sometimes get an extra 10% off) which is less than CRC or Wiggle are selling the crank bros premium cleats; another reason I switched.
  • itboffin
    i switched back to spds on my commuter bike to cut down on carrying a change of shoes, what i've noticed is my sidi with spds are much harder to clip in first time to either bike.
  • edrobbin
    edrobbin Posts: 173
    I got a new set of Shimano pedals with the new bike a few months ago. Still using the Mavic MTB shoes, but I am still struggling a bit.

As most probably do, I clip out on the left side generally and always used to clip in on the initial stamp down. Now I'm finding I have to pause to clip in, or do the 1st rotation unclipped.

Not an issue whatsoever, but as I started using SPDs in 2006, I should be pretty slick at it by now. New pedals clearly having an impact. I guess it's the charge off the line at traffic lights that's made me notice it more
    Waterloo - White City

Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 2016
    Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 3 26" (Lefty) :D