Loose bearing headset parts missing.

carl1983
carl1983 Posts: 162
edited January 2016 in Workshop
I recently bought a Pearson Carbon Audax Pro frameset, I built it up and since noticed there is play in the headset and a weather seal/dust cover at the top of the headtube is missing. The headset is unusual for a carbon bike because it has a built in headset with loose bearings inside. The top has the angular contact cover but is missing something from the outside, probably a rubber seal?

When I tighten up the top screw the steering is either to tight or if I loosen it there is play in the headset with no happy medium! Does this suggest the loose bearings are in need of replacing or just need cleaning up and regreasing?

20160106_092027.jpg

20160106_092316.jpg

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    From what I see it is complete, is the centering ring under the top cover present? (Top cover has the text)
    Worn-out bearings is possible , though.
  • carl1983
    From what I see it is complete, is the centering ring under the top cover present? (Top cover has the text)
    Worn-out bearings is possible , though.

The Top cover is the only thing present, It just sits straight on top of the bearing with the angle being part of the top cover itelf, the problem is there is no kind of weather seal and you can almost see into the bearings when everything is tightened up.

How do I know what size bearings to buy to replace the old ones?

Thanks.
  • carl1983
    One other thing is the bottom of the steerer has this rubber seal installed which completely covers the crown race and prevents it from making a good contact with the bearings! I hve attached a picture to show it. Am I right thinking that should not be there or is it supposed to stretch over it somehow?

Here shown over the race.
    20160106_092106.jpg

20160106_092201.jpg
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Id hazard a guess that the rubber seal should be somewhere at the top of the headset? That would appear to solve both problems? Can I see a groove in the top cover that the rubber thing would engage with?

If the bearings are loose just take them out and count / measure them?
    If they are cartridge, whack them out and look for any identifying marks. Failing that, measure (ID / OD / thickness / angle) and get Googling
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,641
    seems unlikely a cf frame would have permanent bearing parts built into it, and the word "cartridge" visible in the image suggests cartridge bearing, not loose bearings

i'm assuming you got it secondhand, if it's been bodged at some point you could be on a hiding to nothing trying to get the existing headset pieces to work

personally i'd remove the bearings completely (crown race too), measure things and then get a matching headset
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny