Domane 4.3 vs Domane 4.5

uflawdog
uflawdog Posts: 5
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
After a year and half of getting my butt in shape (48 lbs dropped in 17 months), I am upgrading from my Cannondale Quick SI2 hybrid to either the Trek Domane 4.3 or 4.5. While the Cannondale is great, I know either Domane will be a meaningful upgrade. I ride solo fitness rides of 25-30 miles two to three times a week.

The idea of the Ultegra group set of the 4.5 appeals to me but since the crank, chain and cassettes are the same as the 4.3 - not Ultegra, I am wondering if it would make sense to get the 4.3 and use the money saved to upgrade the crank to a 105 instead of the RS500 and/or upgrade the chain and cassette to Ultegra instead of 105.

The 4.5 also comes with tubeless ready wheels, but I'm not sure if that is worth it.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Can you post some spec comparisons too lazy to google it.

Chain spec doesn't matter. And cassette spec hardly matters either. You can always upgrade the wheels later.

Get the disc version if you can.
  • As you've seen, they are the same bike in all important respects - frame and fork. Then it's just a case of 105 vs Ultegra. I bought a 4.3 and have, in effect, turned it into a 4.5 by putting an Ultegra group on (105 stuff's gone to my CX bike). There's a small weight difference but, being honest, the only change I really notice is the 52 vs 50 big ring (triple chainset). Mine has Ultegra wheels with tubeless tyres; that's noticeable and a big improvement. I've changed the stem to a 17 degree 3T one and slammed it (still not quite low enough). And I've put a ProLink saddle and Thomson seatpost on it ... not much of the original bike left really.

I'd say buy the 4.3, save a little cash now and upgrade some bits as and when they wear out.

I liked the Domane so much I bought a Koppenberg; best bike ever :D . Now the 4.3 is my winter/audax bike with full SKS mudguards and lights.
  • Can you post some spec comparisons too lazy to google it.

Chain spec doesn't matter. And cassette spec hardly matters either. You can always upgrade the wheels later.

Get the disc version if you can.

Thanks. My LBS suggested that disc brakes are not necessary in FL, but I'll consider it.

The 4.3 comes with 105 rear derailleur, shifters, chain, and cassette. It has as RS500 crank and an unnamed brakeset. It also comes with unnamed (or unhyped wheels).

The 4.5 upgrades the derailleur and shifters to ultegra and the brakeset to 105. The wheels are upgraded (?) to bontrager tubeless ready. Crank, cassette, chain are all the same.
  • As you've seen, they are the same bike in all important respects - frame and fork. Then it's just a case of 105 vs Ultegra. I bought a 4.3 and have, in effect, turned it into a 4.5 by putting an Ultegra group on (105 stuff's gone to my CX bike). There's a small weight difference but, being honest, the only change I really notice is the 52 vs 50 big ring (triple chainset). Mine has Ultegra wheels with tubeless tyres; that's noticeable and a big improvement. I've changed the stem to a 17 degree 3T one and slammed it (still not quite low enough). And I've put a ProLink saddle and Thomson seatpost on it ... not much of the original bike left really.

I'd say buy the 4.3, save a little cash now and upgrade some bits as and when they wear out.

I liked the Domane so much I bought a Koppenberg; best bike ever :D . Now the 4.3 is my winter/audax bike with full SKS mudguards and lights.
    Thanks
  • Didn't notice the Flordia bit, dry weather, no hills, probably right.
  • Didn't notice the Flordia bit, dry weather, no hills, probably right.

It's all good. They are becoming popular over here.