Boardman CX brake mount

itshowfarʔ
itshowfarʔ Posts: 14
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Hi all, looking for some assistance and advice. I have a 2012 Boardman CX. I'm in dispute with Halfords (shocking, I know) after asking my LBS to have a look at the brakes as I had hardly ridden it due to constant braking issues. My LBS showed me that the bottom brake mount on the fork was flush and level, but the top was 'protruding' and not level. They said that there was no way that they could get any brake to sit properly, that the forks were defective and they wouldn't support their use. I emailed Halfords with a complaint who asked me to take it to my local branch (in Stirling, Scotland).
Halfords said they have 'fixed; it and sent me the following text 'As with any manufacturing process, there have to be manufacturing tolerances for the machining of these brake mounts. The original equipment BB5 brakes are fitted using sets of hemispherical washers, to allow small angular as well as lateral adjustment of the caliper position in accommodating the brake mount tolerances. If the independent bike shop tried to fit a disc brake caliper, without any hemispherical washers, the caliper would be misaligned. If they had wanted to, they could have easily rectified this by the use of brake mount re-facing tool, to re-face the fork mounts.'
My LBS says this is garbage. Can someone review and comment with their thoughts?

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    Looking at that link CC posted it does appear Halfords are correct about the washers. What have Halfords fixed and how? Where is the bike now? Are the brakes now working correctly or are you still not happy with them?

If there is a fault with the fork post mounting face then Halfords should replace it or get it refaced for you to sort it out, can you contact Boardman directly and get them involved.
  • My CX took and age to get the brakes dialed in properly - taking the additional interrupter levers off if you don't need them helps a lot

The washes should correct any discrepancies, though they have limits
  • Thanks everyone. Halfords have informed me that the bike mechanic, has 'significantly improved the braking performance of the bike by fitting Tektro Lyra brakes, mounted using sets of hemispherical washers. Having trued the disc & carefully set up the brakes; these brakes are providing an excellent braking performance (significantly improved over the BB5s) and that they have no rub whatsoever. This fork was originally manufactured to be fitted with a disc brake caliper mounted using sets of hemispherical washers and is perfectly suitable for use with an upgraded caliper, provided that it also is mounted using sets of hemispherical washers.'
    I don't know if this is an improvement on the BB5s and I haven't collected the bike as I'm trying to work out if its a risk to safety from either defective forks or braking. I have two opinions one from LBS that I respect and one from Halfords.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    There's a 4-year-long Boardman CX thread in commuting chat - there maybe someone there who can give you some experience.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Sounds like they've sorted it out for you, no? I'd retrieve the bike and see for yourself. I get the impression that BB5s and Lyras are pretty similar.