PX Holdsworth

MikeBrew
MikeBrew Posts: 814
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
So, I have been looking for my first road bike and I saw this : http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/DBCL60279/holdsworth-altissimo-corsa-campagnolo-corsa-road-bike---orange---58cm on offer. It's my size, appears reasonably priced, and I like the slightly retro looks.
Any thoughts on how it stacks up as a first proper road bike ?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Solid, good looking, orange, reliable.

If you like it and like the price then go for it.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Wonder what year that Chorus is from. The rear mech looks mega old. NOS maybe. Not that this makes it bad.

Orange bikes are nice.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    I would be a little bit weary. This is the original spec for the £2000 bike:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-holdsworth-professional-corsa-15-49530/

(It's called 'Professional' rather than 'Altissimo' - who is the frame build according to google - but the RRP they are using is the same, as is the frame).

Note the Shamal wheels in the review. The one above has the budget Vento wheelset - so they've saved £500 on the wheels alone. Also, the rear mech and levers have the squirly 11 logo which is from pre 2011? Looks like it's been built up from parts so the price isn't a discount on the RRP £2000.

Finally, they give the weight as 8.5kg - whereas the bikeradar review has 7.5kg. Probably the wheels and frame size or possibly a generous marketing weight - but worth noting.

It's still a cool bike but it's not a bargain £500 saving on the 'proper' spec. Maybe worth contacting Planet-X and trying to bargain them down a bit?
  • I`ve always wanted a Holdsworth. Pretty bikes and the stainless frame looks the nuts, as does their Audaxy type thing.
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • MikeBrew
    I was really taken with the limited edition Holdsworth Protessional done by Falcon cycles back in 2011. Sadly, I wasn't really in a poistion to indulge myself to the tune of the the required 2.5K back then... That was a conventional lugged construction as I remenber it, wheras the PX one in the link appears to be lug-less :

DBCL60279_P6.JPG?v=s
  • MikeBrew
    Shelved this idea, as compared to the Evo options from Pauls, it's beginning to look less VFM and more VPL (an unwitting embarrassment)...... . In fact, looking closely as the photo's the wheels even appear to have brake pad residue on them ! Very much WTF !
    Now, which Evo and size to order ! :arrow:
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    The Evo is a race bike, if it is your first bike I am not sure it would be the best idea to get it, don't get me wrong, I love my SuperSix but they are not for pootling around town, and the geo is aggressive.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • The Evo is a race bike, if it is your first bike I am not sure it would be the best idea to get it, don't get me wrong, I love my SuperSix but they are not for pootling around town, and the geo is aggressive.

This.

Mike, was just in the same position as you, and was similarly v tempted by the SSE and the deals floating about on them. It's a great bike and there are some bargains out there but it's not going to be a good deal if it doesn't fit and you're not comfortable!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Wonder what year that Chorus is from. The rear mech looks mega old. NOS maybe. Not that this makes it bad.

Orange bikes are nice.

It'll be 2010/11ish, give or take. Nicer looking than the current stuff anyway. Possibly better made too.

g00se wrote:
    I would be a little bit weary. This is the original spec for the £2000 bike:

Finally, they give the weight as 8.5kg - whereas the bikeradar review has 7.5kg. Probably the wheels and frame size or possibly a generous marketing weight - but worth noting.
    7.5kg for steel frame and that spec seems rather less likely than the 8.5kg!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581

Orange bikes are nice.

It'll be 2010/11ish, give or take. Nicer looking than the current stuff anyway. Possibly better made too.

My thoughts too, they moved to the all carbon face plate and body 2011-14.

I like that generation of Campag 11 with the polished and carbon finish.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack