Whyte 901 Single ring conversion

Pwalo
Pwalo Posts: 6
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I run a 2014 white 901 and I'm converting to single ring using a spare 32t front hope and have just purchased a sun race 42/11 rear cassette. I have a few questions and hope someone can help?
- I have had issues with longevity of the SRAM GXP bearings and will be installing a shimano Bb and a Shimano FC M545 170mm crank. The crank is a low end shimano item but it's 170 mm and comes with a bash ring. The 32 mm hope sprocket will fit on the inner side of the tabs and I will fit a race face bash ring for cosmetics more than anything else. The crank was originally a 2x10 but I wondered whether anyone might know if positioning the front ring on the inner of the tabs would be about right chain line for a 1x 10 set up? Oddball question but I know one of the WMB guys ran a 1 x 10 on his long term 901 a couple of years back and somebody might know what's the optimum set up for a 73mm Bb shell on single ring?
- The Sunrace 42/11 cassette is a bit of a faith purchase as I have only ever ran shimano or SRAM cassettes and I wondered if anyone had experience of running one of these long term yet? It's made by Sturmey Archer apparently and the last time I had a Sturmey Archer product it was attached to a Raleigh Grifter.I have a 1 x 11 set up on my other bike and there appears to be no wear on the chain despite about 600 miles of off road riding in North Yorkshires finest. I wondered if that's a consequence of the single ring setup wearing the chain less, the fact I bought a £38 xx1 chain or a combination of both? Look forward a response?
Best regards
Paul

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A double is not ideal for a single conversion as neither chainline is optimum.

You can swap a spacer from the non drive side to the drive side to improve the chainline at the cost of a slight crank offset though (or if you put the single ring in the outer position from drive side to non drive side of course!).

I have run a sunrace cassette way back and had no issues, the MX3 is a very weight and cost effective expander solutiuon.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Pwalo
    Pwalo Posts: 6
    Hiya, thanks for the response, the Whyte is a 73mm shell so no spacers are needed. My thoughts on the crank I had were that the M585 crank is a double and bash so basically could accommodate a 3rd rin in place of the bash like a triple but wasn't entirely sure. The theory being that the chain line for the second ring should line up for a single. I had previously ran an xt double on a single ring on my other bike with some 2mm spacer washers to get the chain line right so I guess that's the possibly where I might need to go with this.
    Cheers
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A Double and bash isn't a double! Yes you can use the middle location (outer ring) just fine for a single conversion.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.