One Up RadR rear mech cage

lostboysaint
lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
One of the best upgrades I've made on my bike.

Went 1x10 with a 40t biggest sprocket and whilst my SLX clutch mech was ok I'd really had to wind the B screw in a lot to get the top jockey wheel off the mech. The RadR is supposed to be shorter (it is) and provide a kinder shape allowing you to take let the B screw tension off again and the mech to sit more naturally whilst also providing better shifting.

It took 15 minutes to change the cage (because I used the online guide, having never done it before) and was very, very straightforward. Once installed it certainly needed tension off of the B-screw, and then indexed easily. I did need to take a couple of links out (and could probably go a couple more) of the chain. The changing is very, very good and certainly less fussy up onto the big crawler sprocket. The shorter mech cage has to be a good thing (clearance and of course it looks better!). So it's a win, win, win.
Trail fun - Transition Bandit
Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
Allround - Cotic Solaris

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Good review, but the change in cage wouldn't have needed any links removing from the chain if it had been sized properly.

Interestingly I'm fitting a 40T expander to my 9 speed setup (I need to have some machining done so it's off the bike right now) and the B-screw position needed for that was perfectly 'normal'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Good review, but the change in cage wouldn't have needed any links removing from the chain if it had been sized properly.

Interestingly I'm fitting a 40T expander to my 9 speed setup (I need to have some machining done so it's off the bike right now) and the B-screw position needed for that was perfectly 'normal'.

The chain was sized for the original SLX mech. The RadR cage is shorter (which was appealing) so there's definitely scope (and need!) to reduce the chain length!

Good to hear that you got away with the adjustment of the B screw, mine most certainly needed doing as the teeth from the top jockey wheel and the sprocket were meshing :)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Chain should be measured without the mech, so Rookie is actually correct, unfortunately.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Sorry about that CD, I know that must of hurt!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Would using one of these shift better even if used with an 11-36 cassette?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I hate to agree with these two old morons nut they're right. A Chang of cage length won't effect the chain length. You could go from a short cage to a long cage without changing the length.
    You can size a chain without routing it through the mech.
  • The Rookie
    No reason to think it would have any effect at all.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    No reason to think it would have any effect at all.

Good will save me some money and I'll buy the smaller GS plates from bike discount in stead of this.