Quad link bikes on roof carrier??

powell7
powell7 Posts: 47
edited January 2016 in MTB general
Has anyone fitted a quad link type bike to a roof carrier?
Iv got a 2007 marin rift zone and I got a thurle 591 proride for xmas.
I can fit the arm under the rear can but as I pull it onto the bike it sits up against the teeth on the crank.
Just wondering if anyone knows a way around this

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Has anyone fitted a quad link type bike to a roof carrier?
    Iv got a 2007 marin rift zone and I got a thurle 591 proride for xmas.
    I can fit the arm under the rear can but as I pull it onto the bike it sits up against the teeth on the crank.
    Just wondering if anyone knows a way around this
    Are you putting the bike on the wrong way round?

Most fitments I've seen for the 591 have the arm on the left of the bike coming from the front (not the rear) so it won't hit the chainrings (the only teeth I can think of on a crank).

579.jpg
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • powell7
    yes I'm putting it on the right way.
    the only place I can see for the arm to go is below the can and above the bb in the small triangle but it butts up against the teeth once I pull it into the arm jaws

bike01_zpszfi5tiyu.jpg
  • powell7
    Here`s a photo of the other side
    23557982103_d6bed11ecb_o_zps6qxuekos.jpg
  • The Rookie
    edited January 2016
    So the tips of the jaw butting up against the chainring not the arm then? And its not under the rear at all? No wonder I was confused!

Can't see your image through my Co firewall Im afraid.

Will it work going to the downtube above the upper shock/pivot mount? Possibly the seat tube above the rear swingarm? or possibly even the top tube? If not I can't see it fitting your bike due to the cluttered downtube.
    marinriftzone6-700-80.jpg
    For those who don't know what the Whyte Quad link MRZ looks like.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • powell7
    I'll try again after work and get some pics
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Sounds like you'd be better off with the cheaper Thule 532 style - not as nice as the 591, but if you can't get both parts of the clamp through the frame the 591 won't work.

e.g. http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/thule-freeride-532-bike-carrier/aid:479983?gclid=CjwKEAiA8K20BRDetNv3p6DNhXwSJADSwa3t1f4RB-ylGO0qsC5gvK09vjAJ0wJuU7nu4u2d_1R6bBoCiBLw_wcB
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • The Rookie
    I have a version of the 532, and yes as the clamping is at 90 degrees to the 591 it would fit almost regardless.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    A t129 rs will fit that carrier just fine!
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537

Shall we list out all the bikes that'll fit the carrier in question?

:roll:
  • The Rookie

Shall we list out all the bikes that'll fit the carrier in question?

:roll:
    Lets not, it could be an even bigger thread than Cody's was! :D
  • powell7
    iv had another play today.
    do you guys think the frame is in the jaws enough??
    the first photo shows how close it is to the gears, the second shows how much room is left.
    iv tried to pull the frame out of the jaws and its very tight but I'm just worried and wanted to see what you guys think
    f5e2200d-6aaa-4d7c-bddc-35f35d40063b_zpsvzukswth.jpg

83dd5773-417e-4a7f-99f5-7d8eec565175_zpsyvbjqij1.jpg

DSC_0992_zpsvpp1endt.jpg
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    That looks spot on to me.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    Not a chance, it's not clamping the downtube and is relying on wedging the jaws between the one side bearing on the DT and the other on the chainring, I wouldn't use that like that AT ALL.

Not sure how JBA thinks that is spot on with the non drive side part of the jaw not touching the DT at all!
  • powell7
    few more pics
    DSC_1000_zpse07lsxzk.jpg
    DSC_0998_zpsrurqixc8.jpg
    DSC_0997_zpsf0mijqum.jpg
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I was looking on a smartphone screen, but the two allen bolts on the underside of the downtime appear to be in line with the bottom of the 'V' on the fixed part of the clamp. That is how it should be.
    If the top of the clamp can be closed down tight enough to hold the bike then all should be good.

Clamp it and give the bike a good wobble from side to side to see if it can be easily dislodged. If not, you're good to go.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • The Rookie
    In the second photo in the first photo post it looks like the non drive side part of the jaw isn't touching the downtube, it's hard to tell in a photo, easier to see in real life (or test with a strip of paper), if it's relying on the drive side part of the clamp and wedging the jaw tips into the chain set I wouldn't use it, if it's clamping properly and the tip only just tough hung the chainring it's fine.
  • larkim
    Do you really want a tap-tap-tap against your chain ring with some force for long periods of time as the bike rocks side to side (as they all do on roof bars anyway) putting an unusual force against the BB and crank?

It might be OK. Or you might be able to completely resolve the issue by ebaying the expensive roofbar clamp that you have and buying an alternative with the proceeds. Not ideal, but not sure I'd want an expensive bike on the roof like that.
  • Can you not clamp the bike from the point where the welding of the quad-link starts and the 'M' of Marin. This would make the arm almost vertical on your vehicle but with the clamp down tight and the wheel clips on tight, I can't imagine it going anywhere.

It is indeed a tricky situation though, that quad link looks mighty complex!!
  • powell7
    Do you really want a tap-tap-tap against your chain ring with some force for long periods of time as the bike rocks side to side (as they all do on roof bars anyway) putting an unusual force against the BB and crank?

Would the bike and the arm not both mover together?
    Iv never used a roof carrier so this is all new to me
  • larkim

Would the bike and the arm not both mover together?
    Iv never used a roof carrier so this is all new to me
    I'm no expert, but at the very least the pressure exerted against the chainrings would vary as the car bumps along / corners etc etc. If nothing else, that is a force being exerted in a direction which wouldn't normally be expected by that component (though in practice I've no idea whether that would be a force which caused any issues or not).

Clearly the ideal is to have the frame snugly nestled in the "v" of the carrier's arms, with nothing compromising the arms at all. What you are suggesting is definitely a compromise compared to the way it is designed to operate. Whether that is a catastrophic compromise, or just a "meh" compromise I don't know.

But what I do know is that the other style of roof carrier (I've got four of them on my roof) would work without issue on your frame, as far as I can tell.

My experience with roof bars like this is that even if something fails, the bike is unlikely to go flying. I've had bikes on my roof at crazy angles due to clipping overhanging trees etc (and not noticed!), but the bike was still there at the end of the drive!!

I'm loathe to suggest "suck it and see", but perhaps that is the only definitive answer you're going to get!
  • powell7
    Right guys my dad's buying my carrier so what's everyone's recommendations for a carrier to work with my bike?
  • The Rookie
    As above, the lower spec Thule where the clamp approaches from below and not side on.
  • larkim
    Right guys my dad's buying my carrier so what's everyone's recommendations for a carrier to work with my bike?
    I have this. Its cheap, it works. No fuss.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-racks/roof-mounted-bike-racks/thule-freeride-532-cycle-carrier