shamano 9000 c24 rims and sealant

tbloke
tbloke Posts: 109
edited January 2016 in Workshop
I've just ordered a pair of 9000 c24 rims so i can go tubeless same as on my mtb because I've found it very successful and haven't had a puncture that I've had to stop for in years.
Been reading lots about the schwalbe pro one evo and they seem to be the tyre of choice at the moment but I'm struggling with which sealant to use, doing a search throws up lots of threads about stans damaging shimano rims and shimano actually printing in the user manual that any sealant that contains ammonia will invalidate the warranty, ( not that thats a concern as I'm buying used ) but the only sealant I've ever used has been stans. The only one i can find that states no ammonia is the cafelatte but it seems to get very mixed reviews, so any advice on which to use or real world experiences of stans damaging rims etc?

Comments

• You did order the TL ones, didn't you?

Rumours abound about compatibility of sealant and tyres. Mostly this seems to be refusal of warranty claims by manufacturers when you used someone else's sealant. Hutchinson are known to do this. Unfortunately their ProtectAir sealant is useless (although it does come in a very handy bottle). I've found Stan's (no connection) is the most effective.

And I've been running Stan's with Shimano Ultegra and RS61 wheels and Hutchinson tubeless tyres for years without any sign of corrosion or other issues. In fact I'm convinced that any corrosion is most likely related to the use of washing-up liquid to fit the tyre - it's full of salt - and the length of time tubeless tyres stay undisturbed on the rim.

There is no hard evidence that any of the top sealant brands harm tyres. If the tyre fails it would probably have done so anyway. If you do use an off-brand sealant and need to put in a warranty claim, make sure you thoroughly wash out the sealant before sending it back and don't tell them what you used.

Fortunately for you, Schwalbe Doc Blue sealant is repackaged Stan's. So you can use either with impunity.

Also, Schwalbe Ones are genuine tubeless, so you don't have to run sealant at all (although I think the One Pro is only tubeless-ready).
  • tbloke
    tbloke Posts: 109
    Thank you for the reply
    I'm not worried about tyre warranty as they're disposable items and I would think I'll wear it out long before it failed due to sealant, and the rims obviously being used have no warranty anyway.
    The owner isn't sure if they're the TL version or not but he bought them new and they came with tubeless valves so the assumption would be they're tubeless ( I hope ) the schwalbe pro one evolutions I'm looking at are the tubeless version so no problem there I hope.
    I guess I'll carry on with stans then and keep an eye on it as I do find it works very well.