Vancouver-to-Calgary - needing road riding advice

targa_man
targa_man Posts: 27
edited January 2016 in Tour & expedition
We're planning to spend about 2.5 weeks in Canada this summer (mid-Aug), starting in Vancouver and finishing in Calgary. Current thinking is that we will spend 2-3 days in Vancouver and then hire an RV for the remainder of the trip, and probably spend most of the time touring the Rockies. So we'd be grateful if anyone can help with the following:

1. We're planning on taking our road bikes so we're looking for some advice on good day trips on the bike. I think we'd like to fit in 5 or 6 scenic rides during the trip (preferably 'side-trips' off the main highways), although I've read that Icefields Parkway is great to ride.

2. If anyone has done something similar, how/where did you schedule your overnight stops? (I'm getting the impression that it's best to do the first half of the journey fairly quickly, so that the bulk of our time can be in the Rockies, but I guess different folks prefer different things.)

3. Any other advice on planning such a trip with bikes gratefully received.

(PS: in terms of cycling experience, we cycle regularly and have done a few summer trips to the Alps, also Ventoux and will be on our 5th 'tour of Majorca' this spring)

Comments

• PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    You might want to get in touch with the guy who writes this blog: http://www.strakerwrites.com/?m=201507. He's just done a mammoth tour, the first section of which was Calgary to Vancouver. I'm following his updates because I'm basically doing the next leg of his journey - down the Pacific Coast to San Francisco.