Headset Assembly Comfirmation or Correction Please

quarkrad
quarkrad Posts: 51
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Building a road bike and have to fit unbranded headset. I think it is a tapered neco - as the pictures are virtually identical. I have seen lots of text and video on the web re assembly but not to the level I need. The attached picture is almost identical to the bits I have. Is this the correct order(?): 1, I believe this is called a crown race, slides down the steerer tube and sits on the shoulder of the forks . 2 goes into the bottom of the headtube. 3 fits into the top of the headtube. 4 fits on top of 3. 5 goes on top of 4 (I have two of item 5 - thin washers). 6 goes on top of 5. I then put what ever spacers I need on top of 6. Fit a stem on top of the spacers and then fit item 7 to complete. Some videos do not have item 5 (I have two). Do these go either between 4 and 6 or you don't have them at all? Attached picture shows the headset - many thanks.

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    The correct order bottom to top is IMO:
    2-Crown race indeed or fork cone
    1-Probably lower seal ring
    X Lower bearing (missing on picture)
    3-Top bearing
    4-Centering ring
    5-Internal spacer (top cover needs to clear frame)
    6-Top cover
    Spacers and/or stem
    7-Bung in steerer, topcap+bolt.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I think the OP is right;

1) looks like a split crown race
    2) is the lower bearing. - turn it over it will look like 3) with the red seal, only bigger cos it's a tapered headtube.

I think Keezx is correct re the rest. Use 1 or 2 spacers (no. 5) so the top cover just clears the head tube when assembled.

Make sure you know how the bung works.

On my Scott you tighten the bung into the steerer using a large allen key. Then compress the headset components / preload the bearings by installing the top-cap and bolt and tightening just enough to remove any play before nipping up the stem bolts.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Could be right too, the picture is too small to view some parts clearly.
  • Thank you both - yes, 2 is the lower race; should have turned it over for pic. Thank you re 5 - I did not realise their significance - I'm guessing one wants as small a gap as possible but none the less, there has to be a gap.