Seat Clamp

FishFish
FishFish Posts: 2,152
edited January 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I've not bought a new bike this year and need to remedy that!
I'm going to buy a Boardman HT 29 inch as it is a good price and the spec seems ok. The bike comes equipped with a carbon seatpost and that bothers me a bit. I've fitted QR seat clamps on all my bikes but I get the feeling that this will not be practical for a carbon post as I'll not be able to measure the torque. Is there a work round which will allow me to use the QR seat clamp without damaging the seatpost? I'm not going to carry a torque wrench in the car just to put the bike together. Inclined just to get an alloy seatpost and retire the carbon post. HNY to all!
...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Never had an issue, use some carbon gripper and do up the QR sensibly tight. Make sure the bush stays clean so you don't have silly lever loads.

Thinking logically why should a carbon post be more or less delicate than a aluminium one? In fact a cheaper end carbon is probably more robust than a mid range aluminium.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Just use a seat quick release with an accessible allen bolt head.
    Do up the bolt to the correct torque with the lever closed and it will always be correct.

I have this on both of my carbon MTB's.
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    Never had a problem with this. It's carbon, not glass, so as long as you do it up sensibly, there's no reason it should be an issue. Make sure to use carbon paste or things may end badly
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike