Cable replacement SRAM Force

MrGrumpy
MrGrumpy Posts: 288
edited January 2016 in Workshop
Looking to change the inners and outers on the brakes and gears on my roadie, whilst its off the road till spring. What are the recommendations these days ? Been looking at Jagwire, Shimano Dura/Ultrega any good ? Or cheep as chips Clarks just as decent ?

Comments

• i run shimano with polymer coated inners with my rival and red groupsets. Very smooth shifting. I tried jagwire once but it was the most frustrating job I've done on a bike. This was mostly down to the cable ends fraying. What ever your price point make sure the ends of the cables are soldered or have a dab of superglue as the threading of the cables with sram shifters can be a bugger.
  • MrGrumpy
    cheers also from searching 1.1mm is the size for SRAM or does it matter. Of course the challenge once parts obtained is the matter of internal routing! However there are solutions !
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    1.1 mm SRAM cable inner is my recommendation - anything else is too big and won't fit through the shifter.

I needed to change mine last summer and it was a bugger to find the right cable - I think I ended up having to buy a tandem cable and throw the 7 yards of excess into next door's garden.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • MrGrumpy
    got a link to suitable 1.1mm ? Shimano seem to be 1.2 mm ??
  • Matthewfalle
    Let me have a look around when I get - on work pooter so can't do any copy/pasting bits.

But you are correct - SRAM 1.1, Shimano 1.2 so bigger.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    edited January 2016
    Dude

Trends have got them at a fiver - TT and tandem length, so loads of excess to chuck into next door's garden.

As they are thinner than Shimano, you can use Shimano outer.

Apols: just noticed above says Trends, not Tredz. Stooped spell check.

Tredz it is. Not Trends.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • MrGrumpy
    Presume brake cables it would appear are standard 1.6 ? So should not be any issues their!
  • sram is 1.1mm but will fit 1.2mm shimano cables without a problem. the shifting with coated shimano cables is very good.
  • Matthewfalle
    Some people say it does, others have found it not to - the initial bend required for SRAM calipers makes the difference a 'mare, both in installation and action.

But it's your bike, not mine, so fill your boots as they say.

Anyhow, if the correct cables are available at the click of a button, why bodge?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.