Can anyone help me with this?

himadri
himadri Posts: 3
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
So I'm planning to get a new brake within this month and I found a couple of brakes that I like. Can someone tell me which would be better?

Formula RX
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/formula-rx-disc-brake/rp-prod116884
or
Shimano Deore M615
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/shimano-deore-m615-disc-brake/rp-prod108802

And also I'm putting the brakes on a Trek Marlin 7 2016 model. Currently has Tektro Disc Brakes and they are just not satisfying enough. Will I be able to mount the above listed brakes on my bike? Or will I have to change the rotors or something.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Deores are excellent. I have a set on my Transition, performance is identical to SLX and XT but they're a little heavier and without bit point adjustment and lever reach needs an allen key to adjust.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Deores are the cheapest quality brakes you can buy, you will have no problems with them. My wife has slx on her bike and they are also excellent.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That price is a steal for RX brakes, they are more powerful than the Deore as well as being lighter and can be fully serviced (which the Shimano can't be), they do require a little more TLC as they run tight pad clearances and can need the pistons cleaning occasionally (pop pads out, run a cotton bud with alcohol round the pistons, push back and pads back in), but I'd take them over the Deore at that price.

BR review at almost 2 times that price (disc-less option) http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/disc-brake-systems/product/review-formula-rx-brake-with-rotors-12-35528/
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    Depends on what you want really. Deores are very good and very reliable. The Formulas edge them in performance, but as stated, they are Italian, so require that it more attention
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    That price is a steal for RX brakes, they are more powerful than the Deore as well as being lighter and can be fully serviced (which the Shimano can't be), they do require a little more TLC as they run tight pad clearances and can need the pistons cleaning occasionally (pop pads out, run a cotton bud with alcohol round the pistons, push back and pads back in), but I'd take them over the Deore at that price.

BR review at almost 2 times that price (disc-less option) http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/disc-brake-systems/product/review-formula-rx-brake-with-rotors-12-35528/

The RX may offer more power when they are working but the Deores are proper fit and forget and will deliver their power every time, not just when they feel like it. I loved my Formula brakes but not the level of attention they required to stop them constantly rubbing. That's why I now have Deores on the HT.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just swapping on some R1S onto mine to replace my old XT's.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Alright thanks everyone. I will buy the deore. But it seems no one replied to my second question. Which is, will the deore fit onto my Trek Marlin 7 which has tektro brakes and tektro rotors? I just got into riding so not a pro at anything.
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    The Deores will be a direct replacement for the Tektros; just remove the existing calipers and attach the Deores with all the same hardware. Super simple.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike