Cycle to work scheme

Bundy13
Bundy13 Posts: 2
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all, I am relatively new to Road biking and looking for some of your experience and advice about what bike to get using the cycle to work scheme £1000. I need comfort more than speed due to back issues and will be using the bike to commute and do some charity rides and the odd C2C. I bought an old defy 5 to evaluate wether or not Road riding was for me. I was surprised how comfortable the defy was so started researching alternative bikes and have a short list of : defy 1 disc or 0,Cannondale synapse 105, B'twin ultra 720 af and a Ribble sportive with similar spec.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• TerryCTR
    TerryCTR Posts: 143
    Is your cycle to work scheme flexible in what shops you buy from?

I'd choose the giants/cannondale over the btwin for a start. I note the giant discs are mechanical which although not as good as hydraulic are better for your back as believe it or not the hydraulic hoods are longer and therefore increase your reach on a frame of the same size - this caused issues for a mate with back trouble and in the end he sold his defy and had to go a frame size down to compensate.
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you are commuting through urban areas and likely to need to brake quickly alot and will ride in the wet, i would be looking for a bike like the defy 1 disc. Rim brakes while OK in the dry lose alot in the wet which isn't good if you need to brake quickly when riding.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    If you back problems - probably the size and fit is more important than anything else ......if you can find a bike shop that has a decent fitter - I would go with the bike they offer .....
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    If comfort is your main priority then the Synapse is probably most suitable. I would normally recommend the Btwin as my first bike has been an Alur 700 (same geometry as Ultra I believe) and it has been fantastic however I struggled with the geometry as it was too aggressive for me and I ended up turning the stem upside down to get a more upright position.