Novice in need of forks on a budget

IanRCarter
IanRCarter Posts: 217
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
I'm mainly a road cyclist but bought myself a second hand hardtail in the summer to add a bit of variety to my training, especially during winter. The bike is a GT aggressor xc2 2009 (http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/gt/gt-aggressor-xc-2-2009). I've been pretty happy with it but I've found the forks just can't cope with much abuse at all. The forks only have preload adjustment and the rebound is ridiculously slow. Also, on the last ride out, it was very muddy and when I got back to the car, I noticed the seal on one side was halfway up the stanchion, so a lot of filth got in to that side of the fork (which is my excuse for replacing them).

As I said before, I don't so much mtbing so I don't want to break the bank, budget is around £150 but can stretch a little further. Mainly going to be used on the Dog and Monkey trails at Cannock Chase. I've seen these which get good reviews (+ 10% BC discount) - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/manitou-match-comp-forks-9mmqr-2015/rp-prod113849 - but I'm not sure if they'd be right for the bike because the current forks are 120mm travel whereas the are 100mm. I'm not even sure if this matters to much, I've read the crown to axle length is more important? I'd be very grateful if somebody could tell me if these forks are ok or suggest any alternatives.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd certainly try sticking with 120mm, while 100mm is adequate for Cannock it would feel a bit more reassuring at 120mm.

That Manitou is crazy heavy! For a 100mm fork this is brilliant value (air and compare the weight difference to the Manitou) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-2014-SR-Suntour-Epicon-XC-26er-Remote-Manual-Lockout-MTB-Suspension-Fork-9mm-/191454199098?var=&hash=item2c938f3d3a:m:moFjH0WTqdnrahdvKUQMXRg Don't bother with the remote version, just get crown lockout.

Or for 120mm
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-SR-SUNTOUR-Epixon-XC-RL-R-MTB-26-Fork-120-mm-1-1-8-Remote-Lockout-White-/161594523849?hash=item259fc8c0c9:g:E3sAAOSwSdZWd79x but allow for the fact you may get hit with import duty (circa £60 with courier fees) but may get lucky.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for the replies, I hadn't really looked into the Suntour range, probably because the current fork is a Suntour Xcr.
  • The Rookie
    edited January 2016
    The Epicon (now Epixon as someone claimed a trademark violation) is a very good fork, some rate it as better than an RS Reba, others as being close, and it's circa just less than half the price of a Reba.

The XCR isn't a bad fork, similar to an RS Dart3.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Don't forget the 2nd hand market (eBay)

I'd look for Rockshox Reba, Revelations, or Recons. Good examples of all should be well within budget

You sound like you know what you're doing - but just remember there are a lot of fork variants now. Make sure you check wheel size, steerer type and length and drop-out type.

Many of the RS forks above can be adjusted for travel pretty easily (check You Tube and the RS site for how)
  • The Rookie
    Not everyone is comfortable with buying used, but all the ones in use on the families bikes were (2xManitou, 2xRS and 1xDTswiss), as indicated you can get a bargain if you know what you are looking at, my Daughter has some RS Recon XC we got for £50, they are in fact the Revelation in short travel form, we opened them up to 130mm during servicing and she has them on her Hardtail.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Not everyone is comfortable with buying used, but all the ones in use on the families bikes were (2xManitou, 2xRS and 1xDTswiss), as indicated you can get a bargain if you know what you are looking at, my Daughter has some RS Recon XC we got for £50, they are in fact the Revelation in short travel form, we opened them up to 130mm during servicing and she has them on her Hardtail.

Agreed

Just putting it out there as:
    1) I've done the same as you and picked up some good forks 2nd hand at very good prices
    2) The OP sounded like someone with a bit of 'common'
  • I had looked at Rockshox on ebay, unfortunately the combination of 1 1/8" non-tapered steerer, 26" wheels and 9mm QR doesn't yield many results. Then when I do find something, the words 'scratch' and 'stanchion' appear in the same sentence in the description. I don't mind buying off ebay, but I do want something in good condition.

I think I'll keep checking ebay over the next few weeks, if nothing good comes up then I'll go with the Epicons. Thanks for the help.
  • The Rookie
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rockshox-REBA-RL-120mm-travel-26-fork-/172050897783?hash=item280f085b77:g:ffEAAOSwLN5Wirax

I'm pretty sure your bike has a 44mm headtube so will take a tapered steerer with a new lower headset bearing anyway!