Rival 22 rear derailleur with 10 speed shifter?

jack_flap
jack_flap Posts: 40
edited August 2019 in Workshop
Looking to replace a rear derailleur currently Rival 10 speed F+R derailleurs, 10 speed Shimano cassette, 10 speed Rival shifters.

Noticed the 11 speed (Rival 22) is the slightly cheaper option.

It seems to have the identical 1:1 exact actuation, so it seems likely that it would slot in & be tunable with the regular tension/H&L limits.

Has anyone tried this either successfully or unsuccessfully?

After a quick search on Google I found an example on a Cervelo forum which suggests that its possible.

Comments

• mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Interchangeable.
    I use a 10 speed mech in an 11 speed set up.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The wonderfully little known secret is that the SRAM 22 stuff is backwards interchangeable. But, the really good news, is that to upgrade to 11 speed, SRAM users only need change the shifters and cassette.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Ah, great to hear.

Yes does make the eventual upgrade to 11s more straightforward, unfortunately I don't think my wheels will take an 11s cassette (though maybe I will test that at some point).
  • To philthy3, thank you for the info. I found myself with a sram rival 22 front derailleur that I like to use with a 10 speed groupset. Do you also happen to know whether the sram rival short cage can fit an 11-32 sram cassette?
  • StillGoing
    humanspeed wrote:
    To philthy3, thank you for the info. I found myself with a sram rival 22 front derailleur that I like to use with a 10 speed groupset. Do you also happen to know whether the sram rival short cage can fit an 11-32 sram cassette?

No it can't. You want the medium cage rear derailleur.
  • SRAM list all their exact actuation products at https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/technologies/exact-actuation. Any derailleur there can be substituted, provided you're not exceeding the max cog size capacity of the derailleur.
  • StillGoing
    Indeed. SRAM isn't to everyone's tastes, just like Shimano and Campagnolo, but SRAM's ace is its complete backward and forwards compatibility with new models.
  • diramu
    diramu Posts: 2
    Can you confirm this works. I've mangled my 10 speed Rival derailleur (2014). Can just replace with an 11 speed Rival 22 "Exact Actuation". It seem impossible to obtain a 10 speed Rival in Australia (quickly).
    It just the this site: https://www.bikebug.com/sram-rival-22-1 ... 95792.html says:
    Compatibility: Compatible with SRAM Red 22, Force 22 and Rival 22. Not compatible with products of other manufacturers or SRAM 10-speed control levers.

Thanks for any suggestions.
  • StillGoing
    diramu wrote:
    Can you confirm this works. I've mangled my 10 speed Rival derailleur (2014). Can just replace with an 11 speed Rival 22 "Exact Actuation". It seem impossible to obtain a 10 speed Rival in Australia (quickly).
    It just the this site: https://www.bikebug.com/sram-rival-22-1 ... 95792.html says:
    Compatibility: Compatible with SRAM Red 22, Force 22 and Rival 22. Not compatible with products of other manufacturers or SRAM 10-speed control levers.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Yes it does. Doesn't matter whether you fit an Apex, Rival, Force or Red rear derailleur, it will work with whichever speed shifters you have, be they 10 or 11. I wanted a Wifli rear for my winter trainer that has Rival 22 shifters and rather than splash out bought a cheap Apex version that works perfectly. Rival 10 speed shifters will work with a Rival 22 rear derailleur. SRAM rear derailleurs work by the amount of cable pull rather than set positions for each actuation of the shift lever.
  • diramu
    diramu Posts: 2
    Thanks, I give it a go....