and the Trek feels better to sit on than the Scott

they both have more or less the same components
the Scott has a hydraulic lockout which the Trek doesnt
and i think the Scott also has slightly better brakes

however i think the value of a bike lie in its frame
other components are easily upgradable

what should i go for?
if you have other suggestion please feel free
but only make suggestions from the following makers since they are only available in my country
Trek, Scott, Giant, Cannondale, Merida, Specilaized, Bianchi

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Links help, people don't memorise spec, especially as it might differ in a different, unknown country.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Links help, people don't memorise spec, especially as it might differ in a different, unknown country.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/marlin-6-2016-mountain-bike-ec066114
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/aspect-950-2016-mountain-bike-ec121412
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359

Are these the only manufacturers available? Bigger brands tend to offer a lot less for your money at this price.

25.4mm bars have no place on modern bikes, so they're an odd choice on the Trek.

As you say, most of the specs are broadly the same, so it's really down to whichever you prefer.

I don't know if it's typical at this price point, but a claimed weight of nearly 15kg on the Scott sounds awfully heavy for an XC hardtail.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A big brand name definitely doesn't ensure a better quality frame than you get from budget brands. All frames are made in the same factories.
  • Codfather wrote:

Are these the only manufacturers available? Bigger brands tend to offer a lot less for your money at this price.

25.4mm bars have no place on modern bikes, so they're an odd choice on the Trek.

As you say, most of the specs are broadly the same, so it's really down to whichever you prefer.

I don't know if it's typical at this price point, but a claimed weight of nearly 15kg on the Scott sounds awfully heavy for an XC hardtail.

Well these brands are more or less that are available
    i might have missed GT and Btwin
    nothing else comes to mind
    well for some reason the bar on the Trek gives me a better feel than the wider one on the Scott
    Yes the Scott seems a little on the heavier side
    So i think im still inclined towards the Trek
    A big brand name definitely doesn't ensure a better quality frame than you get from budget brands. All frames are made in the same factories.

I agree
    so no way to judge which of the two frames are better?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, or that they may not be better than those from less well known brands.

The Rockrider500 frames for example are superb yet used on excellent value bikes.

Bars can usually be shortened quite easily (as long as the controls area is long enough to move the controls inwards) so that isn't really a compelling reason to buy one bike over another!

Forks and brakes are the two most expensive parts of a bike (not the frame), the forks on the Marlin shouldn't be on a £300 bike, let alone one costing £375, they are shockingly aweful.

Much better than either of those
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-hoodoo-mountain-bike-2013-2014
    And at this price, this is a fantastic buy
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-520-mountain-bike-id_8293188.html#anchor_ComponentProductTechnicalInformation
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I had a trek Marlin 7 that helped me develope decent mountain bike skills. It's a good bike for the money. I would say go for the Marlin.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well the OP is actually in India
    viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=13042159
    So perhaps some of this thread is a bit redundant on that basis.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.