Recommend xc wheelsets for £350 max

strauss_jon
strauss_jon Posts: 39
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
Afternoon all, and a very happy new year ;)

I'm looking for a wheel set for maximum £350 the pair. If i had to choose, i'd go for lightness over durability as i'm a bog standard xc rider...nothing too extreme. But obviously wouldn't mind something with a fair of bit of strength also. Tubeless, non tubeless...no idea. I've not ventured into tubeless although open minded to try. I looked at the cb iodine 2 (super stylish) but definitely very mixed reviews - especially over getting spares...so i think ill give that one a miss.

I've seen the Hope Hoops Tech and they look well engineered and with the excellent hope hubs:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-hoops-tech-enduro-wheelset/rp-prod124946#

Can they be bettered for the cash?

Or the latest XT wheel sets - i guess that's a 'safe' choice?

Recommendations would be much appreciated. Cheers Jon

Comments

• codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    Like a lot of Crank Brothers parts, good looking, but unreliable.

Hope Tech XC or Enduro would be my choice, cracking wheelset
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • mattham
    mattham Posts: 75
    How about something like these?

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/stans-switch-ultra-clearance-wheelset.htm

You didn't say what wheel size, there are no 29's of these but there are 26 and 27.5.

Matt
  • Thanks.

Sorry 26 inch.

Thanks for the superstar recommendation. No free hub to suit my setup though....plus i'm still veering towards the hope set purely based on reputation. Any other good options before i go ahead and get the hopes?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Hope Tech Enduro are very good but if you want light weight they're not for you.
    I've not had good experiences with Superstar hubs, several freehub bodies cracked.
    I would go for something like Stans Crest on Hope Pro2 hubs or Hope Tech XC.
  • Sorry yes, i meant the xc's not enduro. They're going for the same price as the enduro's with CRC's. Thanks very much, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something frightening i wasn't aware of. Have a nice eve..