Will it do more harm than good.

westonpark
westonpark Posts: 57
edited January 2016 in Road beginners
Morning all, Newbie here.

I'm thinking of taking up Road biking, however I suffer from psoriatic arthritis, which in turn caused a herniated disc a few years ago, all symptoms, pains etc are being managed.

My question is, will Road biking (either on a road bike or hybrid etc) do me more harm than good?

Any and all advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Mike

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    The advice of your doctor / consultant will be the advice you should follow.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The advice of your doctor / consultant will be the advice you should follow.

This is important advice, you could seriously damage yourself.
  • I got back into cycling 4yrs ago aged 51 in 2010 I had a bulging disk replaced in my neck and later in the year had two bulging disks replaced in my lower back with advice from docs I slowly started a fitness program . I now ride my bike when ever I can 20 plus miles longest ride 40 miles I lost a lot of weight and feel better for it yes I still have aches and pains in my neck and back but at 55yrs old I do feel a lot better for cycling :D
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    Cycling has helped my back - started on the mtb and now ride both. I took up cycling after slipping a disc and not being able to run.

Personally I think mtb'ing was the best option. More movement and it definitely helped with my core strength.

Mine was though a mild case, if there is such a thing. Never needed surgery or anything other than painkillers. Do see your doctor
  • Not only do you need to see a doctor, if you decide to take up road biking you need to see a bike fitter with a medical background too.

As forms of exercise go road biking can be much better for the joints than other forms of exercise - but that doesn't mean that it's necessarily good for the joints and a bike which is not fitted to you correctly can do you further damage.

Another thing you need to ask the doctor - and you may not want to think about this, but at some point, somewhere along the line, you're going to fall off your bike, a trial for the best of us, but what damage will it do to you in your situation?
  • Give it a go and take it steady :)
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    Give it a go and take it steady :)
    No. Ask for (and gain confidence in) a professional opinion first, as others have suggested.

A back injury is more easily prevented than rectified.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Give it a go and take it steady :)

Yes! Absolutely this is right.

Of course you need to ensure that the bike fits you and that you gradually build up your mileage as your body gets stronger. You should have been given specific advice regarding exercises for your back - ideally from a physio. Strengthening your core and working on maintaining and improving flexibility is important.
    Regular exercise is the best treatment for longterm spinal health - especially as it helps avoid weight gain.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D