Sram S700 Any Good?

alesupper
alesupper Posts: 286
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
Has anyone got the sram s700 10 speed hydraulic disc set? There are hardly any reviews on the Web so thought I would ask here?

Cheers.

Comments

• alesupper
    Thought I would answer my own post. Despite not getting any feedback or reviews on these I went ahead and bought them anyway. Mainly because Ribble were doing them at £140 each which is very cheap compared to other suppliers. The downside being that they came with European cabling i.e. Right/Rear - Left/Front.

I normally do all my own bike work but I have no experience with hydraulics so I took this to a LBS (DC Cycles - Ulverston). Dave there came highly recommended to me by a couple of mates of mine so I asked him to swap the cables over to English (Right/Front - Left/Rear) and to fit the shifters and brake calipers. I'm pleased to say that he did a great job and I am very happy with the S700's. The braking power is much better than my cable actuated disc brakes and the shifting is very good, although quite heavy, but so were their predecessors (Sram Apex).

So, if you already have a 10 speed Sram groupset and you fancy going to hydraulic disk brakes and don't want to up grade your complete groupset to 11 speed then I would recommend the Sram S700's. But only if you can get them for a similar price to me. The RRP is over £300 each which is ridiculous and you would be better off changing your whole groupset!
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    There was an earlier safety recall on these and their SRAM Red counter part. Might be worth checking that yours are the updated MY15 version, though I very much doubt that Ribble would have sold you a recalled item.
    http://sramroadhydraulicbrakerecall.com ... y/updates/
  • alesupper
    Thanks for that. I have emailed Ribble to get them to confirm which model they are. In the mean time if there some way that I can check myself? i.e. model/serial number perhaps?
  • MikeBrew
    edited January 2016
    MY stands for model year. It should be stamped on the box MY13,My15 Etc, assuming they came in original SRAM packaging ? Not sure if there are any MY14 one's out there as there was a delay while they were re designed and manufactured . AS I understand it, MY15 = all good... Anything else (bar a possible MY16) not good. Apparently the recall didn't apply to the Force or Rival versions.
  • alesupper
    Nope no box I'm afraid. They came in clear plastic bags.
  • MikeBrew
    Tricky in that case. I think I'd phone/mail Ribble and SRAM, just too be sure. It does seem highly unlikely that Ribble wouldn't of been aware of this, and so have withdrawn any affected stock from sale.
  • alesupper
    Ribble have already responded to me saying that all their stock was delivered within the last month :D
  • MikeBrew
    happy days :D
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Ooo. This is interesting. I was thinking about exactly this for a cheap winter bike (take my old cross bike (cantis), fit it with a disc fork and front hydraulic discs as they take the majority of the brake load.....