Hardtail for a tall rider discussion

Sploosh
Sploosh Posts: 24
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
So, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to mountain biking.

I have about 700 - 1000 to spend, I fancy myself a Scott Scale, probably a 760. XL with 27.5's

I am 6 foot 6 and I am in fair proportion, 36 inside leg.

My reason for choosing the Scott is that my local shop sells them, I want the shop to be local for repairs and servicing, and Scott do an Xl frame with 27.5 wheels. My other option from my local shop is Cube, but they issue 29 inch wheels with an XL frame.

I went to a recommended bike shop and they told me that because I am tall, I should get a 29er. I am inclined to disagree with this as my height shouldn't affect the dynamics relating to the wheel size? I don't know, just doesn't make sense to me, perhaps they didn't explain it well enough. The main reason they gave me was that 'small wheels on a big bike will look ridiculous' as much as this didn't answer my question, it did make me wonder would the aesthetics be an issue? Anyone with any photos of an XL with 27.5's would be great.

My second point is do certain manufactures geometrically suit taller riders?

I am definitely open to other considerations and I haven't got my heart set on the 760 as I think the colours are a bit naff, the 770 looks better IMO but it has a lesser spec.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/scale-760-2016-mountain-bike-ec121440

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/scale-770-2016-mountain-bike-ec121441

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks.

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I am 6ft7 and ride an xxl specialized carve (now crave) which fits me fine, the xxl rockhopper is a similar size. Being tall you will be at the top of the largest size of most bikes which means a high saddle and low front end which is not the best riding position. This can be altered but it means spending money on stems and bars. Just be careful not to get a bike that is far too small. Check the sales to get a better deal.

Wheel size is just personal preference and the trails you ride. I rode a 26" wheeled bike fine for many years and now have a 29" wheeled bike which i prefer as it suits my riding style better.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's the frame which needs to fit you, not the wheels. There's absolutely no reason why a 29er will be better for you.
  • Sploosh
    Sploosh Posts: 24
    Yeh, I didn't think the wheel sizes would need to suit my size.

Do we think that I should just buy a bike and start doing some K's so I have a point of reference?

There's so much to choose from. So many different geometries, it's tough making a decision!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Learn to service your own MTB, paying someone to do it will cost a fortune, it's not unusual for something to need a tweak after every decent ride.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.